If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment...

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #21  
Right now our local quarry #57 gravel is $37/ton delivered. They're 14 miles one way from here. At that rate to put down 2" of #57s on 40 acres would be right at $1/2 Mil.
When we had our 500 ft driveway which is very close to level it was quite a bit of work which is why 20 years ago had it paved.
I'm with others is figure out how much you need and maintain just that.
40 acres is a 12 ft wide driveway 27.5 miles long!
Our already well established driveway is 1mi long and takes about 10T of #57 per year to maintain here in VA with winter freeze thaw. Maintenance is using the power brush at an angle to sweep the edges toward the middle, then bucket sprinkling on a patina of gravel where needed, then field dragging 1 round trip with a 6' drag. I guess you could call driving on it part of the maintenance. - Thats free. - Drive in the right places keeps the whole surface too packed to grow weeds.

I dont know where the OP is located. His conditions could be better maybe.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #22  
Congratulations on your new business👍
Having experience with a travellift, they like flat ground and get funny when one wheel gets above the other 3.
I'd hire a road grader for a day to things back in order. After this you can routinely "touch up" where needed using the previously graded areas as your visual guide. I agree with the guys that reccomend a land plane. This is a truly (another) "commercial" unit that I can recommend from having one.
As for the machine, I'd think that a 4wd 80+ hp tractor with a loader would be a versatile choice for what you've described.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #23  
I'm just trying to understand "infrequent automobile use (5-15 cars/day), and less frequent use by a seventy-ton capacity Marine Travelift carrying up to 80,000 lbs of boat (up to 4 times a day)." Why the OP would need forty acres! That's an awful lot of LOT!
I just think maybe rope off an area (orange pylon cones and rope?) Seeing how it works...what's needed...adjust to suit.
Then make a decision on that 90% area that never will be used. Sell that gravel, soil+grass, etc.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment...
I appreciate all the feedback. Let me try to answer your questions.

First of all, did I say forty acres? Yikes :oops: , I meant four acres lol. And almost half of that has boats on it, so most of the ongoing maintenance will be on the remaining 2 acres. It's sort of like 40 foot wide driveways running between the stored boats. I wonder if the smaller lot size changes what some of you might suggest? I apologize if my typo sent some of you in the wrong direction with your suggestions.

I do not have any tractor now.

I am in the sunbelt so snow isn't an issue.

It seems from the feedback above that the consensus is around either a skid steer with a bucket (and preferably tracks), or a tractor with a land planer. Rustyiron had suggested 80HP or larger tractor. Does that still stand given the smaller size of the lot?

As another point of interest, the boats are too big to trailer, so I can only work under them once they're moved by the Travelift and launched. Or I guess i could move them one at a time as i grade, but that's about an hour per boat, and seems unnecessary to me as they all get moved sooner or later anyways.

By the way, I have received two quotes for pros to come in and fix the lot with gravel, and two quotes to replace with asphalt. I'm not sure if the quotes are reasonable or not. One gravel quote was for $55,000 and included 39 loads of slag fines, cleaning up the big chunks in the lot, grading and a vibratory roller. The other gravel quote was for $10,000 and included an unspecified volume of crushed asphalt and grading.

The asphalt quotes were for a smaller area (345ftx45ft). One asphalt company offered to do a 2 in mill and pave with 2in binder - approximately 12 tons - for $42,000.00, or to do a 4 in with type C binder for $59,000.00. The second asphalt company quoted to excavate and remove base course, install 8in of crushed concrete base, structural fabric, and 3 inches of "intermediate B binder course asphalt for $118,000. The second asphalt company insisted that 8 inches of base and structural fabric were necessary. I do not know if that is true or not and would like to hear your experienced opinions on this as well.

Thanks again for all the help!

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #25  
I appreciate all the feedback. Let me try to answer your questions.

First of all, did I say forty acres? Yikes :oops: , I meant four acres lol. And almost half of that has boats on it, so most of the ongoing maintenance will be on the remaining 2 acres. It's sort of like 40 foot wide driveways running between the stored boats. I wonder if the smaller lot size changes what some of you might suggest? I apologize if my typo sent some of you in the wrong direction with your suggestions.

I do not have any tractor now.

I am in the sunbelt so snow isn't an issue.

It seems from the feedback above that the consensus is around either a skid steer with a bucket (and preferably tracks), or a tractor with a land planer. Rustyiron had suggested 80HP or larger tractor. Does that still stand given the smaller size of the lot?

As another point of interest, the boats are too big to trailer, so I can only work under them once they're moved by the Travelift and launched. Or I guess i could move them one at a time as i grade, but that's about an hour per boat, and seems unnecessary to me as they all get moved sooner or later anyways.

By the way, I have received two quotes for pros to come in and fix the lot with gravel, and two quotes to replace with asphalt. I'm not sure if the quotes are reasonable or not. One gravel quote was for $55,000 and included 39 loads of slag fines, cleaning up the big chunks in the lot, grading and a vibratory roller. The other gravel quote was for $10,000 and included an unspecified volume of crushed asphalt and grading.

The asphalt quotes were for a smaller area (345ftx45ft). One asphalt company offered to do a 2 in mill and pave with 2in binder - approximately 12 tons - for $42,000.00, or to do a 4 in with type C binder for $59,000.00. The second asphalt company quoted to excavate and remove base course, install 8in of crushed concrete base, structural fabric, and 3 inches of "intermediate B binder course asphalt for $118,000. The second asphalt company insisted that 8 inches of base and structural fabric were necessary. I do not know if that is true or not and would like to hear your experienced opinions on this as well.

Thanks again for all the help!

no way will the cheap asphalt stand up to the boats/travel lift. it will be terrible in short term and cost you 10x to fix later. go around and look at other yards? are they asphalt?

leave it gravel. I think more gravel/road base, grading and compacting sounds like a good plan, though that does seem expensive. when you call and say "what would you do to fix this" they see someone that does not know. spec something out and get quotes for that, like place 3-4 inches of road base, grade and compact with vibratory roller.

if you can do concrete pad 6in+ with rebar for the "parking" and asphalt for the "road" it may work. but i bet the asphalt will squish out a lot under the load of the travelift. look at a heavy truck route road that has asphalt intersections and see the "squish" in the lanes.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #26  
4 acre I can deal with... 🤣

Congratulations on your new business. (y)

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #27  
How bad is this area now and how long was it neglected? Paving is not the answer!
With the much (MUCH)😆 smaller area, I'd have to reconsider the HP requirement. Although with HP comes weight, a necessary requirement for dragging around an 8' land plane. I'd stay with this size for large area grading.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #28  
Not being familiar with boat lifts (particularly of that size), I'm wondering how much it's compacted the ground (and how much/deep of compaction it requires to be supported).

Which makes me think that if it's anything like large cargo aircraft on dirt strips the absolute last thing a person would want to do is disturb any areas that don't need to be leveled/repaired....and only consider hiring professionals who've done similar work to repair the areas needing it (and any minimum area around those spots). Otherwise they could undo a lot of the compaction that is supporting the traveling of the lift and in turn cause a lot of other problems.

From the little I know about major roadways/interstates and runways, there's a lot more to building & maintaining them than there is to maintaining a driveway given the weight/pressure that needs to be supported and the depth of the compaction it may require.

..but then I'm also not a civil engineer so..... 🤷‍♂️

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #29  
I know nothing about grading but can drive a tractor. If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment to fix/maintain this lot, what would you recommend?
Check this out:

grader loader.JPG

M415XT.jpg
M415XT..jpg

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #30