If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment...

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #41  
4 acres, between blocked up boats. Moving the boats with a strap lift. I think you would want to do an initial, large equipment, levelling depending on how bad it is. . But then for maintenance you might get by with a much smaller tractor (mahindra MAX, kabota BX) to drag something for semi weekly maintenance. Those boat hoists do like level ground when driving a boat to launch. Now that I understand a bit better, I'd say you don't want to constantly loosen the gravel, just keep it groomed. Almost like the Saudi dragged a chain link fence behind a Gator, to keep the ball fields neat

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #42  
First of all, did I say forty acres? Yikes :oops: , I meant four acres lol. And almost half of that has boats on it, so most of the ongoing maintenance will be on the remaining 2 acres. It's sort of like 40 foot wide driveways running between the stored boats. I wonder if the smaller lot size changes what some of you might suggest?
There are some companies that make a skid steer land plane grading scraper that is the same style as a tractor 3 point one:

skid-steer-RB 500.jpg

RR Combo.JPG

Roadrunner-555-left.jpg
Roadrunner-555.jpg

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #43  
My brother and I made an adjustable box grader and he had a hydraulic top link. I don't get impressed much, but the box grader impressed me.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #44  
I recently bought a business that has approximately 40 acres of gravel lot. The lot sees infrequent automobile use (5-15 cars/day), and less frequent use by a seventy-ton capacity Marine Travelift carrying up to 80,000 lbs of boat (up to 4 times a day). The gravel lot was in rough shape when i purchased the business and i would like to repair and maintain it. I know nothing about grading but can drive a tractor. If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment to fix/maintain this lot, what would you recommend? I've thought of perhaps a tractor/box blade, or a skid steer ("Bobcat"), or a backhoe, but am not experienced enough in grading to choose intelligently. If you have a recommendation, could you please include model and/or minimum horsepower. Oh, i should maybe mention the lot seems to have undergone some haphazard repairs along the way. There are spots with #57 slag, fine slag, fist-sized concrete chunks, #8 stone, sand, etc. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
I would recommend a Mauldine/PSI M413XT road maintainer. It is very versatile machine, has a front loader, rippers and is a light duty grader. One thing i like about it is the front loader is the same as a skid steer plate attachment with live hydraulic remotes on the front to run anything a skid steer would do. With this machine you could grade and haul gravel from one spot to another.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #45  
Congratulations on you purchase wishing you a lot of luck I have to agree with metal master 10 that sounds like the best reasonable option at this point you can always change things later have very little tied up in the equipment

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #46  
Tractors are designed to smooth land, using Three Point Hitch mounted implements.

Moving boat trailers utilizing a ball hitch on e the front and/or rear of a tractor is a common 4-WD tractor application.

You can calculate how long it will take you to smooth eighty acres using a Land Plane/Grading Scraper by entering 4 mph + LPGS width into following Mowing Calculator.

For eighty (80) acres you should consider a commercial LPGS:

Four models requiring a spread of 60 horsepower to 150 horsepower.

LPGS has almost zero learning curve for the tractor operator.

If it is dry and dusty where you are, consider a cab tractor.

After you decide what weight and width LPGS you may desire, we can give you a tractor recommendation.

The lot seems to have undergone some haphazard repairs along the way. There are spots with #57 slag, fine slag, fist-sized concrete chunks, #8 stone, sand, etc.

Second recommendation for an implement is a rear/angle/scrape blade:

VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=compact+tractor+scrape,+rear,+angle,+blade

When considering a tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.
Where did the "80 acres" come from?
The OP stated that he needs to grade a 40 acre lot!

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #47  
Where did the "80 acres" come from?
The OP stated that he needs to grade a 40 acre lot!
Where did "40 acres" come from?
The OP stated that he "overstated" by 36 acres... :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #48  
I would recommend a Mauldine/PSI M413XT road maintainer. It is very versatile machine, has a front loader, rippers and is a light duty grader. One thing i like about it is the front loader is the same as a skid steer plate attachment with live hydraulic remotes on the front to run anything a skid steer would do. With this machine you could grade and haul gravel from one spot to another.
There is a 2001Mauldine currently listed for sale by Rowden & Sons in Watkinsville, GA.
$39,500. Phone # 706-338-8948.
The land plane idea might be OK, but would be very slow on a 40ac lot, and would not deal well with the rubble material already in the ground.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #49  
The biggest parking lot I can find is in Edmonton Canada and holds 20000 cars.

MoKelly
Boats occupy HUGE spaces, and storage space cannot reasonably be compared to space required for cars.
I Summer stored my 44' DeFever in a Florida lot larger than 40ac.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #50  
Hi' Yes you have a big job maintaining your hard compacted surfaces, I had a similar problem on a much smaller block, thought about the options of various tractors and the costs in running and maintaining the equipment, forget a farm tractor! go for a earth moving wheeled front end loader back hoe, but most importantly make sure it has a four in one front bucket, it will do nearly all of your road maintenance including cleaning out drains, the only extra item needed is a heavy duty spreader /smudge bar that is held in place by clamping it in your front bucket, mine is made out of 4x4"I beams 12ft wide and 4ft long with extended side skid 6ft long rails that can be adjusted for height on a camber or both sides for spreading a consistent even layer of top dressing.
works best dragging backwards using steering brakes if extra down pressure is required.
Leaves a grader blade or box grader for dead.
I have a old Cat,428B loader back hoe and have even made a removable three point hydraulic set up on the back for a ripper and pipe layer, I use a vintage AOS6 Inter for every thing else.