If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Myself, we heat with biomass (pellet and corn stove) with propane as the backup fuel. Processed wood pellets and dried corn is much less expensive per realized BTU than propane or NG and especially less expensive than electric heating, but it comes with a price and that price is, the units have to be maintained as in cleaning and ash removal on a regular basis.

With fuel costs climbing almost every month and being cheap, I'm always cognizant of heating costs, how about you?

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #2  
We have a 30+ year old forced air natural gas furnace and a wood burning stove in the basement. When winter gets going, the wood stove provides about 75% of the heat.

We have an automatic set back thermostat that used to kick the heat way down while we were both out at work and kick it back up right before we got home. That saved a lot of natural gas. But those days are gone. My wife has been working from home for 2 year now, so we go through a lot more wood AND natural gas.

We are fortunate that we can afford it.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #3  
We use a large furnace when very cold that use oil or wood or coal. Usually we fire it with wood on very cold days. The upstairs wood stove is usually all we need but we supplement with the big furnace in the basement on arctic days. It can fire up on oil and get the wood logs on fire and then cut off the oil fire and let continue the wood fire regulated with the thermostat

IMG_1309.jpeg

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #4  
Wood, with electric backup. The latter brings my power bill up about 10-20$/month, depending on how much time I'm away from home. The wood is free, except for my time. Well, almost free, I have to buy gas and oil for the saw and wood splitter. Also a chain and files occasionally. Plus the cost to build my woodshed, but that's long been depreciated.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #5  
Three propane furnaces, propane wall heater garage bathroom/laundry, propane stove.
500 gallon tank $2.39/gal. Roughly $1,500-$2,000 propane fall to spring.
Horse stable 240v IR ceiling heaters, on when needed (rarely). Garage furnace set at 45°F, outside cats have insulated upstairs room in their pen thermostat set to 60°F (beds+blankets), house is set to 62°F (very nice with sweater). Garage has 240v ceiling heater on only when working (50°-55° is fine). Electric bill about $30/month higher in winter.
House going from 72°F to 62°F propane savings was tremendous and less shock going outside.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #6  
We use Oil heat right now at locked in $3.31 for the next few months.
A little of $5000/year. Once this lock is up, it's going to go through the roof.

My boiler takes wood/coal too, and I may burn some wood, just have to figure out how to use that part without blowing it up...

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #7  
It's not the Artic here in NC but, it's too cold to be comfortable. We heat with wood with heat pump back-up... As for the cost:

Wood is free for the taking.
Truck: $35,000
chainsaws (plural) $1200
log splitter: $500 (got a deal)
tractor to load & move wood $25,000
Annual Fuel for above $200
wood stove insert $1800
Misc. costs $200
Chiropractor & Physical Therapist $233 (Medicare deductible)

We're comfortable... at 72-75 degrees

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #8  
For 20 years I heated with a wood stove. Then I heated with a wood pellet stove for 16 years. Both times I had a forced air propane furnace for backup when we we out of town. We heat for six months a year (mid October to mid April). Last year I had natural gas run in to the house (1500’ of line) and converted everything to NG. After one year of use the gas company offered me a year round level payment plan of $58 monthly. Now we heat exclusively with the forced air furnace when it’s really cold and the gas fireplace with blower during the fall and spring periods.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #9  
Here is a link to a fuel cost calculator which is very good as you can enter the cost of your fuels, the efficiency of your unit and then it gives the value per million btu.
Fuel Comparison Calculator for Home Heating | Coalpail.com

My primary heat is an oil fired boiler, my back ups are coal and my mini-splits.
So far this year the mini splits have done all the heating.

The costs that I see are these,
my oil was locked in at $4.049, my electricity is $0.18 kwh (arrived at by dividing the total bill by the kwh), my coal was $450 ton this year.
Coal $450 per ton @75% eff. $2400 per million btu
Wood Pellets $308 per ton @75% eff. $2489 per million btu
Fuel Oil No. 2 $4.05 gal (what i paid) @80% eff. $3650 per million btu
Fuel Oil No. 2 $5.80 gal (current) @80% eff. $5228 per million btu
Kerosene #1 $7.30 gal @90% eff. $6008 per million btu
Electric (Resistance) $0.18 kwh @100% eff. $5275 per million btu
Electric (heat pump) $0.18 kwh @250 eff. $2110 per million btu
Electric (heat pump) if it goes up to $0.21 kwh @250 eff. $2462 per million btu
Electric (heat pump) if it goes up to $0.25 kwh @250 eff. $2931 per million btu

So even at $0.21 I'll likely stay with the mini-splits till it gets to cold,
With $0.25 electricity I'll be lighting the coal insert up.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #10  
These are unique times here in NH - electric costs just went from .22/KWH to .34/KWH this fall over 50% increase from last year, and fuel oil is $5.60/gal which is 100% increase from last year.

We have 7.2KW of solar (generates 8000KWH), 2 Mitsubishi mini splits that do the bridge season heating, and oil boiler 90% efficient that heat a 3000 SF house, and also minisplit to heat detached 1000SF office in garage with fridge and freezer.

We use 500 gal oil a year, we prebuy and this year locked in at $4/gal, then the 50% increase in electricity it's going to be an expensive heating season!

Our total cost heat/ac/oil per month up to this year averaged $180 month or $2200/year, with these increases I would expect we will be $270 per month $3200+ this year.

If we didn't have solar we would be around $5K per year total energy costs.