If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well...

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well... #51  
The only downside to a RAID is if you get some sort of malware....
I train others on how to prevent malware, though I don't really think they are listening... While I can't say this would be impossible, it would be improbably that I would fall victim to it. And I have other measures in place for this.

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well... #52  
I have, in the past, had different brand external hard drives. The software that came with these drives would faithfully backup - based upon how you set them up.

So ....... I tried to use the backup material on each drive - two different ones, two different times. Neither would do the backup task. Both drives have long since visited the trash bin.

I now do a monthly backup to CD-RW disks. For whatever reason - this works for me and I can retrieve and restore off these disks.

I have no idea why the external hard drives did not work. I don't have the time or patience to be fiddling with this stuff. It either works or it goes in the trash.

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well... #53  
One thing I learned though with RAIDS...don't use the same model HD for both drives because they'll both likely fail within a short time of each other. Have one WD and one Seagate for example, or at least drives from different production lots.
! :LOL:

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well... #54  
Last HD crash I had, it would work sometimes and crash after some random time.
I pulled it out of my laptop and put in in an external drive case to attempt data recovery.
I found it would work in a certain position, on one edge, without crashing.
All data was recovered.
I didn't bother trying to save the OS, I just started from scratch.

Try it, maybe it will work.

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well... #55  
There are companies that specialize in restoring hard drives, this is not a Best Buy forte. It's pricy, but if you really want your data, I'm sure most of it can be recovered. I used to work in IT and have been down this road many times with senior exec's. Google hard drive recovery, there are a few companies that don't take payment unless they can recover some data. Some might be permanently lost, but most should be recoverable, again for a price....

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well...
Amazing to see all the responses. My sincere thanks for the advice regarding recovering material from the compromised hard drive and for the options for backing up in the future. You all have given me a lot to work through - and importantly - hope. So, I won't be giving up - just have to figure out my next steps. We are going to be out of town for 4-5 days starting Sunday, so will get at it when I get back.

In the meantime, until I figure out the best back up system for me, I began using One Drive - for $1.99 a month get 100 GB of cloud storage. That may not be what I end up doing, but for now I am covered. . . and there is nothing on my new computer anyway.

I have come to expect help from this forum no matter what the issue, but I continue to be amazed at just how much expertise there is out there and how willing everyone is to help. Again, my thanks. I will update any progress.

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well... #57  
Backing up computer data is universally recommended. When disaster strikes, people are relieved ... they think .... because they have a BACKUP. But you are not out of the woods .... yet.

Unfortunately, many who faithfully do backups have never once attempted to do a "restore from backup" to make sure that function also works. Often, the first time a "restore" is attempted is following a disaster. At this time some folks learn all those backups they faithfully made are worthless because there is something wrong or missing with the restore process.

If you make computer data backups, periodically test your ability to restore them as well.
I've experienced exactly the same thing you warn about. Faithfully did backups for several years. Finally attempted to 'restore' a current backup one day. Bonk! Backup did not work. I'm immediately lost faith in that stern warning to do frequent backups. Furthermore, my PC magically erases older Restore files.

My new method is to buy a 1TB flashcard and do an Xcopy/S/*.*, which makes a copy of every thing including subdirectories. yeah, I know... DOS is Old Hat stuff, but sometimes Old is best.

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well... #58  
I've experienced exactly the same thing you warn about. Faithfully did backups for several years. Finally attempted to 'restore' a current backup one day. Bonk! Backup did not work. I'm immediately lost faith in that stern warning to do frequent backups. Furthermore, my PC magically erases older Restore files.

My new method is to buy a 1TB flashcard and do an Xcopy/S/*.*, which makes a copy of every thing including subdirectories. yeah, I know... DOS is Old Hat stuff, but sometimes Old is best.
Yes, the joy of Windows... the heartbreak.

xcopy does not work the way you think if you have an 8.3 filesystem with long names remapped. Saves the data OK but at great risk of losing the filename. 8.3 is usually what you get on the flash drives.

Apple's Time Machine essentially does what you are saying with xcopy on Windows but it only copies changed files. It starts by creating a new directory on the backup volume, then fills with symbolic links to past copies of all the files on the volume, then copies changed files into the place of their past symbolic link. The result is a backup volume where the top level is filled with directories each containing a snapshot of my computer's root drive.

And, Apple never had a problem with the 8.3 filename limitation.

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well... #59  
Now that I am thinking of it, I believe Idrive has free backup to the cloud up to xx size, before you have to pay. I have setup my inlaws on this and works well.

/ If this can happen to a really smart guy like me. . . well...
Back. Updating my efforts:

I took the HD to a recommended local computer firm, they tested the HD (inserted it into something and connected that to a computer) and said it appeared it was trying to work, but it was beyond their capabilities. They recommended a firm (Drive Savers). They have good reviews. I called them and their least expensive option is from $700 to $2,900 - Ouch! Once they have examined it they will provide an exact quote - no charge if they cannot recover anything. I also checked with Norton (my anti-virus, backup etc. subscription) to see if their cloud back up saved anything - apparently not.

I have searched for DIY options and suggestions. One suggestion is for a kit (Amazon) which will let me connect the hard drive to my new computer and then see if it will work. Another suggestion was to put the hard drive in the freezer over night and then reinstall it in the old computer and see if it will work. A 'recommended' local guy will take a look at it. Other local guys won't attempt anything that may require taking the HD apart - understandable. There are recovery software programs you can download, or CDs you can buy and try, but of course, you need to be able to boot the computer to use those.

I have to decide if the cost to send it out is worth what I have in there. . . many years of photos and more. In the meantime, I may try the "in the freezer" overnight and reinstall to see if that does anything. The freezer option sounds a bit odd, but it has been suggested three times.

I have a 2 TB external hard drive ready to copy anything I can salvage, and will be signed on to one of the cloud storage services you all have recommended.

Thanks for all the input - this from a wiser old guy.