If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
I've noticed that frequent threads start out with an interest in possibly acquiring a Sub Compact tractor (new or used). That's reasonable to consider a SCUT because they can do numerous activities.

However too often when those threads are started it's with questions like these:

1. What's the best one to get?
Or

2. I want to get a XXXXX brand. . what do you think?
Or

3. I looked at XXXXX brand because a dealer is two miles down the road. . so what do you think?

To me, these type of questions are both confused and poorly targetted. If you go out hunting with a rifle . . . you want to aim it to expect to get your target. But to me, starting a thread with one of these three questions gets confusion.

Why? Because it shows a lack of understanding that each Brand of sub compact tractor has strengths and weaknesses. . . . and that satisfaction with a purchase is based on what you need a SCUT to do for you . . . rather than a focus on a brand or how close dealers are (within reason).

Each person on TBN will have differing opinions on size of tractor and brand of tractor and that should be based on needs they had. So "aim" your new thread to help keep it from being a jumble of responses that may make it very confusing.

As an example. . . . In Subcompact tractors there is a considerable difference in what their front end loaders can lift (both by brand and by model). So if you plan to use a fel often and want to haul heavy loads . . . you need to tell us that early on. If you plan on mowing nice lawns . . . some brands offer different deck sizes and option models. . . . o don't be shy about telling us that right away. If you have significant hill slopes. . . . some brands are better at that than others.

And if you looked only one day or one time and then the next day you want to buy something . . . then understand you probably won't get the quality of opinions you desire or need. Then what you are looking for is just approval .

Personally I always suggest the following method :

0. Figure out what you desire to do with your potential tractor. . . . and prioritize the issues and importance of each.

1. Find 1 or 2 brands that answer your needs well.

2. Then find dealers who can provide one or both of those brands.

3. Then find a price and distance you can live with.

If you have number 0. done well, and explain those things in the beginning, TBN can help you a great deal in my opinion. But if you want to skip right to a single brand or a mdel . . . it can get off track and confusing very quickly in my opinion and you'll get frustrated why you don't get the answers or opinions you want I the timeframe you want.

Just my opinion. Maybe others will express their's .

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase #2  
Yep. Same idea applies to almost any purchase. Until you can articulate what you want it for, you can't make the best purchase for you.

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase #3  
I suggest sitting on and driving thise that make your short list. Paper and online specs can't tell me how I feel on the seat, ergonomics, and how I attach/detach loader, backhoe, etc, and how to service items.

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase #4  
Number 0 Is sometimes the hardest to answer until you learn more about tractors and their abilities and even then knowing your tasks going in doesn't mean they wont change once you get to understand how things work better and become a better operator with time. so in many cases they just need to start with a question to get started and hope they learn enough once started to learn how to make an informed decision.
Ask a kid who never saw a tractor or drove one and he will have a lot of questions on top of questions like whats the loader used for? You answer for moving those rocks over there. He will then ask how much does the rock weigh? How many can it move at one time? How fast does it move them? Is that all it can move? Can I try it? Do they make bigger ones? Do they make smaller ones?
Basically for many of those posters its more of a learning curve then we realize no matter how informed the poster tries to portray themselves and the best we can do is offer our knowledge based on our experience and hope things start to make sense so they can get what they need because sadly with many as they get older they loose that little kid attitude to honestly ask questions on top of questions till they get an understanding of the tasks, the tools and the fundamentals of the things being dealt with.

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase #5  
I've noticed that frequent threads start out with an interest in possibly acquiring a Sub Compact tractor (new or used). That's reasonable to consider a SCUT because they can do numerous activities. <snip>
Personally I always suggest the following method :

0. Figure out what you desire to do with your potential tractor. . . . and prioritize the issues and importance of each.

1. Find 1 or 2 brands that answer your needs well.

2. Then find dealers who can provide one or both of those brands.

3. Then find a price and distance you can live with.

<snip>

We've tried to get a newbie form they could "fill out" for years.

From 2009:
Can the collective wisdom come up with say a 12 or so step form of questions which should be answered BEFORE someone starts a thread "I need a tractor".

Main questions I see are (and my examples):
Budget (20K)
Acreage to maintain and type (300, all forest)
Terrain (rolling hills)
Climate/location (I'm not going to plow snow in Mississippi)
3 primary uses (trails & ditches, ponds, fences)
Nearest 3 dealers (Kub, Mah, JD)
Transportation if needed (Ford E350 diesel)
Skill set w/ tractors (little)
Support other than dealers (relatives)
How soon (next year)
Business or Pleasure (pleasure)

For some reason it never happens. It's like urinating into blowing air. By the third post in a thread of someone saying they need a tractor usually somebody else steps and asks some pertinent questions but unless the original poster has done their research on the forum already they often miss many important points.

To me the MOST important point is Why The Heck Do You Want a Tractor?

I came to this forum in 2009 looking for a skid steer and Eddie Walker convinced me I needed a tractor (THANK YOU EDDIE!!).

Many people REALLY don't need a tractor for the jobs they describe (mowing lawns, digging foundations) and don't realize they have other things to do that a tractor will greatly assist, like cleaning up brush piles with a grapple.

I still think it would be a great idea for a "sticky", even as much as I dislike stickies.

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase #6  
I looked at a lot of SCUT's a couple of years ago. I was seriously thinking about buying one to go along with my current tractor. I think before someone posts about buying a tractor they should have already gone and tried them out (but this is not always going to happen). When I was looking at them online I liked the 1025r the best, but after actually going out and driving on all the ones near me, the MF 1710 was the one I liked. I drove and operated others also. I think that is the most important thing you can do when looking at tractors. Getting on them and operating them. That should get someone within a 80 % if not closer of an idea of the one they want. Then ask the questions "does anyone own one of these" and "how do you like them?" "whats the good and bad about them?".

I personally do not see much difference in all the SCUT's that are out there for the type of work that they can accomplish. They are all limited in what they can do. They are all very close in sizes and capacities. Again it boils down to getting on them and operating them. All the ones I drove would have been plenty capable of doing what I was looking for them to do. If someone has some bigger work to do or needs more FEL power they need to upgrade to a full size tractor.

My cousin and aunt have the most beautiful 5 acres you have ever seen. They have never owned a tractor and keep that place looking sharp. So sometimes the advice should be "do you really even need a tractor?". But you are always going to have "new" folks who know nothing about tractors coming on here and asking those questions. That is when the "experienced tractor owner" comes into the thread and starts asking those pertinent questions. The "new" person might not know to ask the right questions. They see a commercial or advertisement for certain manufacturer's and think this is the one I need. At least give them credit for posting and trying to find out some information on the tractors. Now if they keep responding with stupid questions and not heading the advice they are given then I could care less what they do and will stop responding.

We were all "new" at one time and did not know what we were doing or how to go about doing it. Like newbury said, he came on here looking for a skid steer and ended up buying a tractor. Thanks to a veteran tractor owner who knew the pertinent questions to ask.

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase #7  
Something to remember is that people will respond based on their personal experience - which may or may not include all the equipment and conditions in the shopper's consideration. Often, opinions are colored by the local dealer as much or more than the brand of the tractor. The largest dealer in my area is a Deere dealer, and they assign their least experienced, least knowledgeable, most pushy salesperson to small homeowner-suitable tractors. Same outfit owns the four closest Deere locations. GREAT folks at the Parts counter, but terrible salespeople on SCUTs and CUTs. Makes it hard to love Deere for me, but someone else somewhere else loves their dealer and their Deere.

When I was buying (two years ago), the local choices were Case, LS, Kioti, Kubota, Mahindra, and Deere.
The Case dealer only had one model in stock, and it was a three years old demo with 87 hours on it - at current list price. He had lots of orchard and ag tractors, though. I mentioned Kioti to him, and he told me his grandpa had one he'd bought new 20 years earlier and still loved, and that the local dealer was a standup guy.
The LS dealer was new to the area, and the appearance of their dealership screamed "We'll move on - probably tonight!".
The Kubota dealer is well-established, somewhat knowledgeable, and had suitable models in stock. Even had a low-hours rental at a screaming price. That made them a contender.
The Mahindra dealer is a trailer sales outfit, no service department, no parts, and no tractor that fit MY requirements. GREAT prices on what they DID have. Eliminated by me based on after-sale support.
The Kioti dealer is a long-established local tractor dealer, family-owned and operated, and wanted my business. They were the only dealer that offered to demo the two models I was considering on my property for the weekend at no charge, no strings. Said if I scratched them up, he'd put them in his rental fleet. Did a dealer trade to get me the model I wanted, at a great price.

All five brands had machines that fit my needs. Had all the prices been equal, I probably still would have bought what I did, where I did - but the prices were not even close. That actually made the decision harder, as I tend to expect better when I pay more. This forum gave me the confidence to buy the Kioti, and I'm very pleased with it - but you will find that most folks here who bought a new tractor are happy with their decision, no matter the brand or color. Usually if they are unhappy, it's with the dealer.

Last edited:
   / If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase
Greetings,

I agree with most of the responses. A good thread needs to have some "research involved by the OP" to have a benefit. And research means effort - including multiple times considering what you would do with the tractor. I don't mean an hour of effort - I mean hours - bunches of hours. Most people don't walk into a car dealer and buy the first thing they see. They look around, they test drive, they look at sources like consumer reports etc.. I joined TBN in Sept. of 2011 but I started looking and collecting brochures at State Fairs on lawnmowers and sub compact tractors starting in 2006. That doesn't mean I expect others to do that - but it does mean I think everyone should do some of that at the minimum

Maybe the 1st question to be answered is - can you afford to buy the wrong thing ?
In my case, I couldn't - it was going to be a one shot thing for a number of years, so I better do it right or don't even try :)

"a close dealer" might be convenient - but a "good dealer" is better imo. Why - because a good dealer will be truthful and informative and hopefully responsive - in other words - good business people. And if you find a weak salesman/woman - go around them if needed.

But the best dealer still doesn't mean the best product. I wanted a kubota or a yanmar sub compact for years - but I ended up with a Massey GC instead. And it wasn't because of a sales person - in fact exactly the opposite. I was already pricing BX Kubotas in early 2015 when I ran into a Massey Dealer near me - terrible experience. The tractor was rusty in the engine compartment (GC1705) from sitting next to the highway for ???? (years). And I had to look at it by myself because the salesman sat inside. Walked away baffled at why I would ever be interested in a Massey. Then I read a review from Tractors.com and discovered the GC1700s had front flow air movement (Just like BX product). So I started reading a ton on Massey sub compacts. 2nd dealer near me - salesman knew almost nothing about them. but I test drove one compared to a BX1870 and liked the Massey better.

Then "the dog got the scent and started the hunt".

But my point is - sometimes what you don't know - can hurt you and sometimes it doesn't. I would have been mostly happy initially with a BX - until I'd seen or learned about the Massey's. They are both good products - but for my specific needs - one brand was far better. Then I had to find that "good dealer" - and I did - and I could have bought BX or Massey from that same dealer.

Again - to me - an OP is best served if they know what they want or are willing to learn what they need before getting too confused by users input. TBN was an invaluable source for information - but not until I got it down to just 2 brands and a wish list of needs.

JMHO

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase #9  
Before I bought my 1705 I looked at and sat on many products then I started reading here there and everywhere to figure out if people were having issues with one of the brands I was considering. Once I narrowed it down to three brands, I started comparing PTO HP, FEL lift capacity, and some basic other stuff. I really didn't take dealer network into account at all, it's not that important to me. My closest dealer is 65 miles from me and the only thing I have purchased from them is fluids and filters, I found an ad on craigslist from a dealer in VT, (5 hours away) and he gave me a fantastic price with no tax (out of state sale) and he has a buddy that is a landscaper that he uses for delivery's out of state that drove it to me here in Maine for $0..

I made out well on my tractor, It does everything I need it to do.

I have a SSQA bucket, forks, a soft cab, 4ft bush hog, a rear blade and I will purchase a Blizzard 54 inch blower for the rear before fall. That will be pretty much what I need for what I do with a tractor.

The decision was a bit easier for me than someone who has never had a tractor, I have had many different brands and different sizes for different applications. I prefer Massey Ferguson, I think they make a excellent tractor, I did have a 2305 TLB ten or so years ago and that was a nice as well but I didn't like enough to keep it, this one is here for the long haul, I have become attached to this little guy, I really like it.

/ If you are considering a Sub Compact tractor purchase
Atsah, kinda off topic but I'm curious about the Rear blower you plan to acquire. In a sub compact size - is price the reason for choosing a rear blower ? Personally I have some confusion about rear blowers because of all the turning of body and neck to operate them. Somehow driving in reverse with an open auger spinning away to objects behind you where your vision is limited seems curious.

I've also heard of a couple of rear blowers that actually are designed to be pulled forward - but they are expensive and your tires pack the snow a bunch before getting to the blower. Have the fel and bucket on is nice with a rear blower - but I would think all the important activity is going on behind you. What's your thinking - I'm assuming Maine gets some decent quantities of snow too.