If you ever struggled putting chains on a 50+ hp tractor...read on

/ If you ever struggled putting chains on a 50+ hp tractor...read on #1  

rfc143

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 5240
For a few years I struggled with putting the rear chains on my Kubota 5240. Not having help, or a crane, or another tractor with a loader didn't help the situation. Finally I came up with this simple method. It does demand a barn, garage or other structure for your tractor. It works fabulously for both removing them in the spring and putting them on in the fall.

I rigged a multipart block and tackle just adjacent to the rear wheels, and hook it on the midpoint of the chains. You can also use a chain fall or other hoisting device. You first roll forward to undo the shackles then rearwards to not have the chains under the wheel. Hoist away. I can put each chain on or take it off in 10 minutes or so. Used to take me three times that (and with a heck of a lot more effort).

Finally, it's a great way to store the chains for the summer.

Attachments

• Chains.jpg
    Chains.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 198
  • chains1.jpg
    chains1.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
   / If you ever struggled putting chains on a 50+ hp tractor...read on #2  
Also good for log chain storage. Place hooks together, strech out chain to find center. Then walk hooks back to center. Opposite ends are the 1/4 and 3/4 points. Install quick links here for the hoist lift points.
20210103_115659.jpg

/ If you ever struggled putting chains on a 50+ hp tractor...read on #3  
Like the ideas. (y)

/ If you ever struggled putting chains on a 50+ hp tractor...read on #4  
You should try to drive them on, very easy and need very little equipment.

/ If you ever struggled putting chains on a 50+ hp tractor...read on #5  
i know what you mean, they can be a real struggle to get on those rear wheels. i put string going through the rim and then tie each side to the chain, drive forward and it pulls it over the tire and around. actually my rims are solid so i drilled a 1/4 inch hole thru it and fish the string through the rim.

/ If you ever struggled putting chains on a 50+ hp tractor...read on #6  
i know what you mean, they can be a real struggle to get on those rear wheels. i put string going through the rim and then tie each side to the chain, drive forward and it pulls it over the tire and around. actually my rims are solid so i drilled a 1/4 inch hole thru it and fish the string through the rim.
I finally started using this method after years of struggling with the heavy suckerso_O

/ If you ever struggled putting chains on a 50+ hp tractor...read on #7  
Good for storage.
I keep mine in a 35 gallon barrel, lift them high with the loader and set them right down into the barrel.
Tip the barrel over in the fall pull the chains out straight, tie a rope to them put the rope over a couple of lugs and then just drive the chains on.