If you have forgotten what older trucks were like

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #21  
I remember you had to learn each and every vehicle on how to get it started. Even then, you would sometimes flood it, run the battery down, or set there for many happy minutes trying to baby it to fire. Us folks now days are spoiled. Turn the key, and she is running already.....
+1 Started driving on dad's 74' C10 and had my own 76' K10 - I can remember explaining the starting sequence to my son on the K10. It was the best snow vehicle I've had.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #22  
   / If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #23  
Them old trucks got er done though. The real game changer was when GM came out with the 1988 body style. The 88 to 98 GM style rides and handles as good as anything built today from any manufacturer. The real ticket was the simple throttle body EFI that eliminated those troublesome carburators from the past. Have a 1992 Chevy C1500 with 4.3 V6 that I bought new (still have it today). Frequently got 23.5 mpg freeway with it. It spent many a year working like a 2500 with cargo coil shocks on the rear end.

My 1992 rides and handles as good as any of the new 1/2 ton trucks that I have test driven over this past year. Sure it is down on the supposed paper horsepower specs compared to the newer trucks but many of the new trucks base model engines have to rev to the moon to make that power. In the normal rpm range that I experience when driving a truck the hp is not really all that different from a newer truck. Not too many new trucks will get the mpg that ole 1992 does either. (My 2001 chevy 4.3 Silverado 1500 that I bought new and sold in 2005 supposedly had 40 more hp and a way superior fuel injection system to the ole 1992 but I never found that hp nor the better fuel economy either which is why it went bye bye).

I've been driving a 93 Suburban K1500 for 8 years now... no offense, I like the ride and all, but its no where near as nice a ride as modern trucks. The 350 with the throttle body, while very simple and reliable, is a D-O-G! Woof!!! It can't suck enough air. Not possible.

I also had a 93 G20 3/4 ton conversion van with short wheelbase that had the V6. D-O-G! Woof! Woof! :laughing: It was a nice smooth riding van, but again, no where near as nice as today's vehicles. ;)

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #24  
I've been driving a 93 Suburban K1500 for 8 years now... no offense, I like the ride and all, but its no where near as nice a ride as modern trucks. The 350 with the throttle body, while very simple and reliable, is a D-O-G! Woof!!! It can't suck enough air. Not possible.

I also had a 93 G20 3/4 ton conversion van with short wheelbase that had the V6. D-O-G! Woof! Woof! :laughing: It was a nice smooth riding van, but again, no where near as nice as today's vehicles. ;)
I was thinking the same thing. Heck, a 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma has more guts, stronger frame, better ride, ect than a 1990 anything!

It's progress. Someday we will look back and laugh at a 2017 F-450. Just the way it works!

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #25  
If any of You want a Real ride , come to Southern Oregon and We will take you for a spin in what use to be My Grandfathers , then My Dads , Now My Brothers 1961 Dodge 3/4 ton ( D200 ??? ) 4 speed , 4 wheel drive Power wagon . :thumbsup:
My Grandfather bought it new and made 2 trips to Alaska with it hunting Caribou . Power is a Whooping 318 c.i. with a single barrel carburetor :shocked:

Pretty similar to driving a old duece and half , just a smaller version :dance1: No A.C. , No Power Steering , Heater that barely functions to keep windows defrosted . Last time I looked at it in the garage , seems like it was around 72,000 original miles :D

Similar to this but Original Orange paint is still on it .

2ae095206b5e68a26db1c0ae16a10683.jpg

Fred H.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #26  
My own first pickup truck was a new 1969 Chevrolet that cost less than $2k right after the 1970 models hit the dealers. That truck had an inline 6 cylinder engine, with the only "optional" equipment being a rear bumper. It had a manual 3 speed transmission, no power steering, no power brakes, no air-conditioning, no power seats, windows, or mirrors, no radio, no carpet, not even a cigarette lighter.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #27  
My own first pickup truck was a new 1969 Chevrolet that cost less than $2k right after the 1970 models hit the dealers. That truck had an inline 6 cylinder engine, with the only "optional" equipment being a rear bumper. It had a manual 3 speed transmission, no power steering, no power brakes, no air-conditioning, no power seats, windows, or mirrors, no radio, no carpet, not even a cigarette lighter.

Sounds like the '61 dodge that has been in the family since new :drink: I think the only thing my Dad upgraded was He took out the original am tube type radio and replaced with a newer am/fm type . I remember turning that old radio on and having to wait like 30 seconds before you would start to tune it :laughing:

Fred H.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #28  
I bought a new '89 Chevy 2X4, 305 CI, 4 speed auto, 2.73 axle. It was my first new truck and I loved it. That all changed when I hooked my 6X12 single axle cargo trailer with a 600 lb. Harley in it and drove 1200 miles to Florida. Top speed was 60 mph, foot on the floor, locked out of OD. I traded it off as soon as I got home. It was beyond pitiful.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #29  
I was thinking the same thing. Heck, a 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma has more guts, stronger frame, better ride, ect than a 1990 anything!

It's progress. Someday we will look back and laugh at a 2017 F-450. Just the way it works!
As long as the frame isn't rusted on the taco, it is stronger

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #30  
Am I the only one thinking a 1985 truck isn't that old? I'm either insulted or am just coming to the realization I'm the old one! Haha

No, you're not the only one. I clicked on the link expecting to see a truck from the early 1950's.