IH Cub Lo-Boy

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #1  

cef2lion

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4410, JD455
My brothers father-in-law passed away last fall. The family is going to sell the IH Cub Lo-Boy that was in the barn and giving me first shot. No one knows the year or much about it. They think late 40s or 50s. They went away this weekend and said to stop and look it over. Runs good and has mower deck and snow blade. Going to grab a picture or two. Are there things I can look for that would help identify the year and its condition? Tires are very good both front and back. Has sort of a mini bench seat but not sure if thats original.

Looks like it needs a home,

Craig

Last edited:
   / IH Cub Lo-Boy
I did some searching and found sites with info I need to identify. I should be to go from there. If it is a Lo-Boy the one FAQ I found says it wasn't introduced until '55.

Craig

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy
I got over and took a few pictures last night. Serial number is 14389. I think that makes it a '61. The horse wants it gone. )

Attachments

• cub1.jpg
    cub1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 566
  • cub2.jpg
    cub2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,121
   / IH Cub Lo-Boy #4  
Get it if you can. Lots of Cubs out there but you don't see too many Cub Loboys. That's the original style seat. Same tractor as a Cub just lower to the ground.

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy
Thanks for the feedback. They are assuming I'm taking it and happy since its staying close to the family.

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #6  
You are right that it is a sixties and they are good tractors.

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy
I did notice that it had an alternator on it fitted to a generator bracket. From the serial number FAQ I found this should be a '61 but the FAQ says the switch to 12V didn't happen until mid '64. It was getting dark and I didn't have time to pull the battery cover. I also want to see if the starter and other items are 12V. My guess it was converted from 6V to 12V. Or it was 12V and someone just changed out the generator for an alternator.

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #8  
I did notice that it had an alternator on it fitted to a generator bracket. From the serial number FAQ I found this should be a '61 but the FAQ says the switch to 12V didn't happen until mid '64. It was getting dark and I didn't have time to pull the battery cover. I also want to see if the starter and other items are 12V. My guess it was converted from 6V to 12V. Or it was 12V and someone just changed out the generator for an alternator.

Don't worry about the starter...an original 6V starter works great on a 12V battery...also, no worrys with bad regulators as the alternator is most likely a GM "one wire" with internal regulator...I've been running one on a 57' 230 Farmall for a bunch of years...on the same battery..(uh oh...I guess that means since I said it, it'll die tomorrow...) Get the tractor...great little units BobG in VA

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #9  

66 was a switch to a 12v GENNY.. someone just scabbed a 25$ junkyard alt on because it was cheaper than the 80$ genny rebuild and 40$ regulator.

I have a 66 IH cub.. oem 12v genny.. etc.

as long as you have a 12v coil.. or 6v coul with proper resistor ( assuming battery ignition ).. then you are good to go.. the 6v starter will take 12v for a long time.. just don't grind on it forever.

manual rod switch don't care either..

soundguuy

/ IH Cub Lo-Boy #10  
I have a 64 Lo-Boy (yellow with flat hood). It is 6 volt positive ground. It is my trail mower and under 6" snow machine, although I've cleared 12" snows (took some time). The Lo-Boy was my late FIL's mowing machine for 5 ac. Slow but did a nice job and I used it when we took over the farm. It is a great little tractor for pulling a trailer around the yard.

I picked up a spare blade (no mounting hardware) at a sell yesterday for $25. I may mid-mount it for grading my drive, before I mount the mower. Overall, a fun, useful little tractor.