IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #11  
It has a PTO, should be able to pull a draw type PTO driven bush hog without much problem.

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #12  
It starts on gas, runs on diesel. You went the unique route for sure!

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #13  
Had a dual fuel Farmall years ago. What a pain in the butt. I might add that was a WW2 deal. The dual fuel engine runs poorly on diesel and a good part of the unburned diesel and soot will wind up on you if the wind is blowing right.

Better off just running it on straight gasoline.

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor
Had a dual fuel Farmall years ago. What a pain in the butt. I might add that was a WW2 deal. The dual fuel engine runs poorly on diesel and a good part of the unburned diesel and soot will wind up on you if the wind is blowing right.

Better off just running it on straight gasoline.

You’re saying it can run on either?

Everyone else says it simply starts on gas and runs on diesel.

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #15  
Starts on gas (separate small tank), runs on diesel (distillate to be exact, which is kerosene, not diesel) but you can run it on gas 100%. If it's intact, there will be a shroud that fits over the carb that keeps it hot Like I said, it's a messy deal as a lot of the fuel will exit the exhaust pipe unburned and if the wind is blowing right, you get covered.

The one I had years ago had radiator shutters on it too, to keep the motor running hot enough to run on distillate. I just ran mine on straight pump gas.

Keep in mind that it's a 'dead' pto too. IOW, anything you run on the pto shaft like a cutter for instance, the cutter will keep spinning and push the tractor along. You really need to buy an over running coupler that will ratchet so it don't push you.

No 3 point either, just a drawbar (hopefully it's still there). Interestingly, Raymond Lowey designed the sheet metal.

That is an old tractor. Mine was a 1949.

Last edited:
   / IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor
At least I scored this too. Ford engine and runs great.

Anyone want a tractor?
IMG_5783.png

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #17  
The first thing I'd do when you get it is change all the fluids including the gearcase and oil bath air cleaner and clean the air cleaner element in clean diesel. Any motor oil will do, you don't need any new synthetic stuff, just good old 30 weight detergent oil and the gearbox takes (I believe) cheap VG42 hydraulic oil. cannot remember, been a long time ago. One thing you need to do besides that is pull the plugs on each lower drive unit and drain them and refill them with 90 weight gear oil. Each side has it's own sump. Mine didn't have a dipstick, it had 2 petcocks on the side of the pan to check the oil level.

It's a frigging antique. Kind of wish I still had mine, I would turn it into a parade tractor. Long gone however.

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #19  
Starts on gas (separate small tank), runs on diesel (distillate to be exact, which is kerosene, not diesel) but you can run it on gas 100%. If it's intact, there will be a shroud that fits over the carb that keeps it hot Like I said, it's a messy deal as a lot of the fuel will exit the exhaust pipe unburned and if the wind is blowing right, you get covered.

The one I had years ago had radiator shutters on it too, to keep the motor running hot enough to run on distillate. I just ran mine on straight pump gas.

Keep in mind that it's a 'dead' pto too. IOW, anything you run on the pto shaft like a cutter for instance, the cutter will keep spinning and push the tractor along. You really need to buy an over running coupler that will ratchet so it don't push you.

No 3 point either, just a drawbar (hopefully it's still there). Interestingly, Raymond Lowey designed the sheet metal.

That is an old tractor. Mine was a 1949.
Going to have to disagree with you on this tractor the WD (wheeled diesel) series as well as the early TD (tracked diesel) series started on gasoline through the carb and ignition system and a decompression system, once started and warmed up when the decompression lever was shoved down the gasoline fuel was shut off and the diesel was turned on and the engine ran strictly on diesel. If it was in decent shape it was a good running diesel for the time frame it was built late 40's and early to mid 50's. There were distillate tractors available in the 40's but the IH WD was not one of those, the Allis WD was available as a distillate tractor

/ IH McCormick Standard WD6 tractor #20  
Could be Lou, I'm only familiar with the 49 I owned and how it worked. It's still an antique.