I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #11  
Simply gives the tire more biting surface into the snow, snow on snow causes friction, friction allows grip, i have effectively double the gripping force by adding this. at least thats the way it was explained to me. you definitely do notice a difference.

Any downside?

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #12  
Any downside?

It weakens the tread abit and if you spun the tires really bad, it could tear a lug out. I dont see that happening on a tractor though

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving
It weakens the tread abit and if you spun the tires really bad, it could tear a lug out. I dont see that happening on a tractor though

you would literally have to spin it on shale, very fast. i ride coal dumps with atv's which have similar grove patterns, we literally have to roast the tires (not possible on tractors) to really damage a tire, and even then you would have to do it a lot longer then any normal amount of spinning.

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #14  
I've seen that mentioned here before, how does it work? Not quite sure I understand how these shallow grooves work where the large lugged tires don't.

FWIW, I suspect it has something to do with a water film that may form under tire contact pressure- maybe like a mild form of why ice skates work so well. I DO know that my driveway's hill is a lot slicker as it warms up toward freezing. Figured the water film forms better then. So maybe the extra groove forms a reservoir or escape path for that water film that would otherwise have no place to go, especially on large contact areas like tractor tire lugs.

Wikipedia says it's for wet or slick surfaces:

Siping (rubber) - Wikipedia

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #15  
Thanks for posting your experience. I have been considering adding studs as I am not willing to (and may not have the clearance) use chains.

This is a lot less expensive.

Has anyone tried it on turf tires?

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #16  
Grooving does make a remarkable difference, especially on R4 tires.

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #17  
X10 on grooved tires improving traction. I did all four on my previous tractor R4's. I have the rears grooved on my current R4's, and the difference is certainly noticeable.
If I ever get around to doing the fronts, I think I'll just do a single groove down the center of the lug, as on the rear.

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #18  
Does this help at all when working in dirt /moist dirt / mud? I do not use my tractor often in the snow.

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #19  
Does this help at all when working in dirt /moist dirt / mud? I do not use my tractor often in the snow.

Sadly only R1 tires work best in mud..ask me how i know..lol Got mines stuck far too many times

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #20  
First go around since I grooved the tires, big big difference, I don't know if the snow was different, it was definitely heavier, but significantly less trouble this time, almost 0 spinning and hills i needed diff lock and had to spin my way up, i went in reverse (no diff lock at all). To those of you debating, i would definitely do tire grooving before going chains to see if its enough. I am not buying chains now. (90 vs 800)

View attachment 687436View attachment 687437

I knew you would like the grooved tires. They worked great in the snow I got here in Ohio.