I'm sure this is in the wrong forum . But,

/ I'm sure this is in the wrong forum . But, #21  
Re: I\'m sure this is in the wrong forum . But,

They used rebar, with a nut welded on it and pounded them in the ground in I think its 3 holes on the base of mine. I think it might be better if the rebar was longer, it was only about 30 inches long, I believe. But we have had some pretty good winds, and it hasn't hurt anything, so I guess it is working OK. When I had the canvas type I use to have to go out and take a broom and hit it on the under side to get the snow off of it. I'm sure it would rip and tear, with all the weight otherwise. Of course we generally got our snow in the middle of the night, that is why I jumped on the metal one. We don't get much snow here, but 3 or 4 inches weighs a lot.

/ I'm sure this is in the wrong forum . But, #22  

Yep, rebar driven into the ground. The one at our flying field has 5 36" stakes on each side. We have had several gust fronts come through the area this summer with winds strong enough to blow the shingles off the house on the property next to the field. The car port has held solid although I am sure a direct hit by a tornado would be a diferent story.

/ I'm sure this is in the wrong forum . But,

Thanks to all of you for your ideas . I guess I'll have to go the tarp route . As I build pole barns ,etc for a living , I don't believe I want one of my Co-workers ribbing me about a carport ,or other temp shelter /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Should be fun to do this fall /winter . Thanks again , John

/ I'm sure this is in the wrong forum . But, #24  

Whisper in Janelle's ear tonight........pole barn........pole barn......or at least a "Cover-It" until we can afford it.....tarp will embarrass you.......... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I'm sure this is in the wrong forum . But, #25  

I put one of those up last year for my new tractor... not sure of the brand, but it came from Home Depot. It served as shelter from the elements - well, most of the elements, but not all - until we put up a permanent pole building this spring.

No hurricanes here, thankfully, but it stayed intact and did the job through several ice storms and modest snows.

After being up for a year, it now looks pretty beat up. Some small limbs from nearby trees have fallen and pierced the tarp. The FEL bent several of the thin-wall poles during various attempts to shoehorn the tractor back under the canopy.

So, barring a severe wind storm or 2 ft. of snow, they can serve for a year or so while you put up something more permanent.

Other drawbacks: No security and if you must also use it as a catch all for tool boxes, hand tools, implements, etc., it begins to look like it belongs in a shanty town.

/ I'm sure this is in the wrong forum . But, #26  

If all you want is a carport, build a gambrel roof. Just the roof, floating slab, with enough gravel underneath to prevent frost heaving. I was at a carport dealership one day when the wind destroyed several of his pipeframe/canvas models. Adding metal to the sides will sure increase the wind load, it isn't too bad if you check you have the same size pipes as the fully enclosed models.

/ I'm sure this is in the wrong forum . But,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Whisper in Janelle's ear tonight........pole barn........pole barn.....

She barely listens to me when she's awake . I doubt if I'll have any better luck when She's asleep . For years I've whispered Shelby Cobra to her when she's asleep . And every morning I look outside .... NO Cobra /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Of course ,She might just hate snakes !!! Actually the plans are to build a 28X36 pole barn 4/12 pitch with 1.5 or 2 ft overhang . 10 0r 10.5 Ft under ( depends on garage door heigth . I want a 16x8.5 or 16x9 door . All metal clad as the price of OSB is going crazy . John