Implement bearings...check them

/ Implement bearings...check them #1  

duffer

Platinum Member
Tractor
'16 Mahindra 2538
For some of you "under" experienced tractor and implement owners, it's important to check the bearings on your implements every so often. Bearings take the brunt of the punishment on most implements, and they don't last forever, even the "sealed" bearings.

I got an 84" finish mower about 4 years ago. In the last few months I've noticed the sound of the mower getting louder and louder (first hint of a bearing(s) going out). I've been watching a bunch of farming videos lately, and virtually all of them have noted that they needed to replace bearings on this piece, or that piece of equipment. Got me thinking my bearings on the finish mower might need some attention.

Sometimes you can check for worn bearings by trying to move the spindle back and forth. If it "wiggles" your bearings are shot. My spindles did not move at all, but because of the loudness of the operation I decided to dig deeper.

Tore the 3 spindle assemblies apart yesterday, and here is what I found:

First pic is a "normal" looking bearing, but it is worn out. You can spin it way to freely with a single finger.
IMG_0070.JPG

2nd pic is worn out bearing and don't put fingers anywhere near it !! (the shreads are from the ball bearings and notice how many little ball bearings are missing)
IMG_0071.JPG

Obviously, I waited far too long to address the issue. Don't wait as long as I did to check your bearings !

Replacements are very inexpensive (I found Timken bearings...supposedly really good brand @ $10 each on line. Bought 2 complete sets). Replacing the entire spindle, bearings, and brackets is about $300 each, and I have 3 of them on the mower. Luckily I don't have to replace any spindles or brackets. No damage to them.

Just a word of caution for you.

/ Implement bearings...check them #2  
Great post. Will check mine tonight.

/ Implement bearings...check them #3  
On bearings:
I had one noisy bearing on my 8 year old used snow blower.
Tore the blower apart and replaced all bearings for a grand total of about $60.00 or so.
Was surprised that some were so bad but had decided in advance that the parts total was minimal compared to labor input.
Also did a few minor weld repairs.
OK, so I now have a blower that'll probably outlast me* considering it was already 8 yrs old when I acquired it.
(*I'm 82)

/ Implement bearings...check them #4  
Bearings, and even expensive bearings (there are some doozies out there) are a whole lot cheaper than a new implement...

Currently doing all the bearings in a new to me Mott flail...

/ Implement bearings...check them #5  
I use a handheld IR thermometer to check running temperatures of all my bearing. regularly, especially the bearing in my large round bailer, which can be difficult to replace if bad. The handheld IR thermometer has the be the best tool for checking bearings as a bad bearing will always run hotter than a good one.

HF has them for under 30 bucks. Beraings usually go bad long before they start making noise. A noisy one just tells you it's 'ate itself' and is working on destroying other parts as well.

/ Implement bearings...check them #6  
I use the IR thermometer on my travel trailer. I'm not looking for a specific temperature, just that all 4 are about the same. If one is hot, either I need bearings or brakes serviced. Hadn't though to use it on the flail mower, but now I will.

/ Implement bearings...check them #7  
I do the same. So long as they all are of pretty equal temps, all is good. A bad one will consistently run hotter than a good one.

/ Implement bearings...check them
Update on the bearing replacement.

Bearings finally came last night via UPS and I re-assembled the spindles, housings, and bearings for all 3 spindle/pulley assemblies. Put the belts back on, tightened them up, and cranked up the finish mower.

You couldn't hear the mower even running @ 540 rpm!! Before I changed the bearings out, I had to put in ear plugs to make it somewhat bearable to mow. Based on the sound level, I think I waited 1½ seasons too long to replace them.

Mowed about an acre of grass tonite, and works just as good as new...maybe better.

So if you implement is making more noise than it should, chances are you have at least 1 bearing going out, even if the spindle doesn't wiggle...

/ Implement bearings...check them #9  
Good reminder. I buy PGN bearings in 10 packs off eBay. End up with left overs but you never know when you will need one. Haven't checked the ones in my finish mower but they are 4 years old and it has been a little louder.

/ Implement bearings...check them #10  
Just a note on your second bearing picture, the part all wonky is the bearing cage and no balls are missing, the cage keeps the balls separated evenly, they actually assemble the bearings with the balls loose then put the cage around afterward...