importance of position control

/ importance of position control #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
Ive been wandering lately what difference position control on the 3 pt. hitch makes. I've noticed that the B seriers tractors now have it, but the bx series still do not. My main use would be box blading or using a land plane to smooth out areas of the yard . I also plan to get a tiller and wasn't sure if it affects that or not. Thanks

/ importance of position control #2  
Ive been wandering lately what difference position control on the 3 pt. hitch makes. I've noticed that the B seriers tractors now have it, but the bx series still do not. My main use would be box blading or using a land plane to smooth out areas of the yard . I also plan to get a tiller and wasn't sure if it affects that or not. Thanks

I would never buy any tractor, even a SCUT, without position control.

Position control was removed from many SCUTs several years ago in order to save cost. JD has returned it to their "premium" line of SCUTs and I do not believe that MF (Iseki) ever removed it). IMHO, the handwriting is on the wall. I expect that Kubota will restore it with the next version of SCUTs.

Draft control is an entirely different matter, and is not needed unless one wants to plow or use similar heavy tillage implements.

SDT

/ importance of position control #3  

Position control simply means that the three point control lever can be positioned anywhere from fully down to fully up and the three point hitch will hold the implement at that position while you are using it.

Draft control is something entirely different. A previous poster got it wrong. Draft control automatically raises the 3pt implement when it encounters too much resistance. Draft control is a supplement to position control, but is usually only found on tractors large enough to pull a plow. That's what draft control was made for - to protect you and the machine when you were plowing and hit a rock.

YOU DEFINITELY WANT THREE POINT POSITION CONTROL ON ANY TRACTOR.

Postion control makes a huge difference when using 3pt implements of any kind. Position control used to be standard on every tractorbuilt from about 1950 up until recently when some really dumb companies deleted it on tractors they thought were basically too small to need it. But that's crazy. The smaller the tractor, the more you need position control.
rScotty

/ importance of position control #4  
Position control simply means that the three point control lever can be positioned anywhere from fully down to fully up and the three point hitch will hold the implement at that position while you are using it.

Draft control is something entirely different. A previous poster got it wrong. Draft control automatically raises the 3pt implement when it encounters too much resistance. Draft control is a supplement to position control, but is usually only found on tractors large enough to pull a plow. That's what draft control was made for - to protect you and the machine when you were plowing and hit a rock.

YOU DEFINITELY WANT THREE POINT POSITION CONTROL ON ANY TRACTOR.

Postion control makes a huge difference when using 3pt implements of any kind. Position control used to be standard on every tractorbuilt from about 1950 up until recently when some really dumb companies deleted it on tractors they thought were basically too small to need it. But that's crazy. The smaller the tractor, the more you need position control.
rScotty
I agree completely. If I were deleting something it would be draft control, not position control. What kind of idiot engineer deletes position control on a 3 PH. Actually, the smaller the tractor the more you need position control to set the implement depth. Just having a full up or full down is idiocy for any tractor especially a SCUT or CUT.

/ importance of position control #5  
Scotty -- I am sure you really meant some companies have been (as SDT said) leaving off DRAFT control on many models, not POSITION control.

ERROR MY MISTAKE; SDT did talk about Position Control being removed from many SCUTs. I back off and say I'm not aware of that stuff. My 30+year understanding is what I originally described below.

I have yet to ever see a tractor with an hydraulic 3pt hitch that did not have position control. I'd be curious what tractors are being made without position control (if you really meant that.)

Gary: None of the 3pt lift controls are made for "full up or full down" with nothing in between. At risk of offending the intel of many readers who know the what and why of Draft control, I'll comment as follows:

All (so far as I know) tractors provide Position Control which is the most simple and just means you raise or lower the 3pt as needed with a single lever. Nearly 100% are downward by gravity or implement force only, not hydraulics. As SDT said , Draft control is usually found on larger machines made to faciltate plowing and heavier tillage. In short, DRAFT Control requires sensing of the vertical load on the implement aft of the 3pt. [The one I have more experience with senses load on the top link though there are some that sense lift arms, etc.] That sensed vertical implement load is used in a feedback system internal to the tractor to reduce the hydraulic lift if the forces are above a threshold. On tractors with Draft Control that threshold is set by a second control lever. Typically that second (Draft) lever is kept in an "out of service" or "not in use" stored position effectively disabling Draft Control while the user operates the tractor using nothing but the Position Control. When you do invoke Draft control, the 2 levers both have an effect on the height of the implement. The Position lever sets the static level relative to the tractor while the Draft lever controls the dynamic level variation. While Draft Control might offer some protection when hitting a rock, the main purpose is to keep the plow a more constant depth in the ground and not have it riding up and down irregularly as your tractor rides up and down over the terrain.

Tractorrr: In your stated applications pulling drags, land leveling things, and even the tiller -- I doubt that Draft control would help you at all. I think of it as nothing but a confusion factor unless your are plowing.

Last edited:
   / importance of position control
The type of position control I'm talking about is the one that SDT mentioned. The bx basically has an up and down lever but it can stop in between and you could pull up or bump the lever to bring it to a certain level. The newer B models now have a position control where you can set the implement to a certain number. What kind of advantage would this be when using a box blade? I would think it is most effective to use the box blade in the float position on the bx but what advantage would it be to have position control?

/ importance of position control #7  
Scotty -- I am sure you really meant some companies have been (as SDT said) leaving off DRAFT control on many models, not POSITION control.

ERROR MY MISTAKE; SDT did talk about Position Control being removed from many SCUTs. I back off and say I'm not aware of that stuff. My 30+year understanding is what I originally described below.

I have yet to ever see a tractor with an hydraulic 3pt hitch that did not have position control. I'd be curious what tractors are being made without position control (if you really meant that.)

Gary: None of the 3pt lift controls are made for "full up or full down" with nothing in between. At risk of offending the intel of many readers who know the what and why of Draft control, I'll comment as follows:

All (so far as I know) tractors provide Position Control which is the most simple and just means you raise or lower the 3pt as needed with a single lever. Nearly 100% are downward by gravity or implement force only, not hydraulics. As SDT said , Draft control is usually found on larger machines made to faciltate plowing and heavier tillage. In short, DRAFT Control requires sensing of the vertical load on the implement aft of the 3pt. [The one I have more experience with senses load on the top link though there are some that sense lift arms, etc.] That sensed vertical implement load is used in a feedback system internal to the tractor to reduce the hydraulic lift if the forces are above a threshold. On tractors with Draft Control that threshold is set by a second control lever. Typically that second (Draft) lever is kept in an "out of service" or "not in use" stored position effectively disabling Draft Control while the user operates the tractor using nothing but the Position Control. When you do invoke Draft control, the 2 levers both have an effect on the height of the implement. The Position lever sets the static level relative to the tractor while the Draft lever controls the dynamic level variation. While Draft Control might offer some protection when hitting a rock, the main purpose is to keep the plow a more constant depth in the ground and not have it riding up and down irregularly as your tractor rides up and down over the terrain.

Tractorrr: In your stated applications pulling drags, land leveling things, and even the tiller -- I doubt that Draft control would help you at all. I think of it as nothing but a confusion factor unless your are plowing.

Sorry, JWR, but you are simply incorrect.

Most (not all) SCUTs and some CUTS sold within the past 15 years or so do not have position control.

If you do not know the difference between position control and draft control, find a GOOD late model Ford 8N with functional draft control (most are not) (I have one if you need to inspect) and try plowing with the position/draft control lever in each position.

Having done so, post back.

SDT

/ importance of position control #8  
I have a BX with no position control. I really can not do any grading with the rear blade, I just use it for snow removal. Is this because I do not have position control? I do not think it matters. I blame the short wheel base and small tires makes it gouge. On the other hand with a box blade, it might be more important.

/ importance of position control #9  
My Kubota bx23s does not have position control but you can bump the 3ph up or down as you please and it will hold there . I'm using my box blade without issue.

/ importance of position control #10  
I have a BX with no position control. I really can not do any grading with the rear blade, I just use it for snow removal. Is this because I do not have position control? I do not think it matters. I blame the short wheel base and small tires makes it gouge. On the other hand with a box blade, it might be more important.

My Kubota bx23s does not have position control but you can bump the 3ph up or down as you please and it will hold there . I'm using my box blade without issue.

OK, we've established that draft control and position control are two different things, and that of the two, it is 3 point position control is most important to have.

But there still seems to be some misunderstanding about just what position control consists of.

Position control simply means that if you set the 3pt raising and lowering lever to any position between full up and full down then the implement will go to that position and hang there.

Position Control works like this: Moving the 3 point control lever fully one way will cause the implement to raise to its maximum height and stay there. Fully moving that lever the other direction will move the implement the other way. One way raises it, the other way drops the implement to the ground. Raising is done hydraulically; lowering is done by gravity. Regardless of whether you start at full up or full down, placing the lever in any intermediate position between full up and full down will cause the implement to go to that level and hang there. From any intermediate position you can then use the 3 point control lever to raise or lower the implement by tiny fractions of an inch and it will do so and hang there. And that is the beauty of position control....the ability to very slightly raise or lower the implement to match the ground condition.

Once in an intermediate position, nothing will cause the implement to fall down from that position because it is being held there by the fluid in the 3 point hydraulic cylinder. However, that 3 pt hydraulic cylinder only acts to keep the implement from falling lower. The ground or a couple of strong men can lift the implement up from that position - that's the nature of a 3pt lift - it is power up & gravity down. So once those strong guys lift the implement, when they let go then it is gravity that will return the implement back to whatever level that the position control is set to.

I hope this helps,
rScotty

And to Dodge Man and IchabodCrayne - I'm curious and it sounds like several other old timers are too. Does what I've described match what your BX does?