Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #651  
There are a few importers of these machines in the US that claim after market support for parts. Kymron, Groundhog, and one in California that the name escapes me.
If you're thinking of Tiller-King, aka Agrotech , don't hold your breath. They don't seem to offer much in the support area. I've got one , and since it was bought at auction ,they claim they didn't even make it even though they sell the same machine. Fortunately these machines are stupid simple as far as components and engineering goes.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #652  
Boy this thing gets hot after an hour.
You'r gonna need an oil cooler if you want this thing to last more than a few jobs.
Add a cooling fan to the dog house.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #653  
Can't wait to see it Timber.
Yeah, me too. Scheduled to be loaded on ship Aug. 25. Then then the slow boat from China to Norfolk.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #654  
You'r gonna need an oil cooler if you want this thing to last more than a few jobs.
Add a cooling fan to the dog house.
I admired your added oil cooler setup. I was looking at my Ex. and how I might install one. If I can figure out and find the necessary the connections I would simply reroute the present return hose to a cooler plus filter and add a new hose back to the tank. I have a 12v 80w radiator style fan on order that I intend to install to help keep the B&S from getting too hot.

BTW how are all your modifications working in terms of keeping things cool?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #655  
I am noticing quite a large price drops on the 2 ton Chinese minis recently. They do have a lot more features to them as well as a Kubota diesel engine. I see a model selling for ~$13,000 with free shipping in US. Would love to try one.

Attachments

• 1692826051173.png
    1692826051173.png
    328.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 1692826136735.png
    1692826136735.png
    296.6 KB · Views: 91
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #656  
You guys get some crazy prices on those. Same machine with another name (Devil) as the post above, over here it's like $19,500.

If I had to choose between one of these Chinese mini ex or a backhoe on a tractor, I would much rather have the mini ex and the save the tractor from the stress of running a backhoe.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
I am noticing quite a large price drops on the 2 ton Chinese minis recently. They do have a lot more features to them as well as a Kubota diesel engine. I see a model selling for ~$13,000 with free shipping in US. Would love to try one.
Your photo shows the crappy 1/8" shallow bucket. If you can get the better buckets you see on 2.5T-3T units, that would be a huge plus. The more powerful minis will rip that bucket to shreds.

At 2T and up, you also may have planetary final drives, which I have seen in some of the Typhon pix.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #658  
Your photo shows the crappy 1/8" shallow bucket. If you can get the better buckets you see on 2.5T-3T units, that would be a huge plus. The more powerful minis will rip that bucket to shreds.

At 2T and up, you also may have planetary final drives, which I have seen in some of the Typhon pix.
I agree that the buckets on these Baby Ex's leaves much to be desired. Those bolts for the cutting edges and teeth reduce digging ability. Part of why they can be sold cheaply I imagine. I intend to weld on the side cutters (once the blasted heat abates outside) and I have on order 3 pin on-weld on teeth that will replace the present ones. One thing I noticed when making prep for welding is the buckets have a rather thick paint on them. Pretty resistant to removal.

I have done some looking about for options for my new Typhon but have not found much available. I would like a larger ditch cleaning/light grading bucket than the 500mm (20 inch) that is imported. 36 inch would likely max out the capacity.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #659  
I admired your added oil cooler setup. I was looking at my Ex. and how I might install one. If I can figure out and find the necessary the connections I would simply reroute the present return hose to a cooler plus filter and add a new hose back to the tank. I have a 12v 80w radiator style fan on order that I intend to install to help keep the B&S from getting too hot.

BTW how are all your modifications working in terms of keeping things cool?
Hey MattB4,
My oil never gets above 45c and the dog house stays cool enough to put your hands on.
I've run my mini for 6 hours at a time and have no issues (stoping only to fill the gas up).
You may have noticed that I enlarged and added more holes in the dog house, this really solved the dog house problem.
I've got about 45 hours on my mini now and my only complaint is retightening every bolt before use.
If it does'nt have a lock washer on it put one on and use some red lock tight . Still inspect each time you use it. Treat it like an airplane, do a walk around.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #660  
I now see why the digging teeth slew inwards. The holes in the bucket are punched at 15mm versus the bolt size of 12mm (18mm head). This gives plenty of space between the 2 bolt holes to allow a fair amount of movement. Considering the removable teeth mounting holes are 12mm the bucket holes should also be that size.