in line fuel filter for my Allis B

/ in line fuel filter for my Allis B #1  

Silver Member
Tractor
yanmar 3810, 48 Allis B
How about it? Can I replace my sediment bowl with an in-line filter? I've put so much money into this thing that I'm trying to get the least expensive and most effective method of putting gas into the carb. Because of restricted space I would need the smallest one I can find. Can I use a small engine filter? I'm somewhat mechanically challenged and should not have started this rebuild job in the first place. Two thousand bucks later, it's too late to back out now. I have to say though, it is a pretty little thing even if it's not running.

Last edited:
   / in line fuel filter for my Allis B #2  
Why not? I did it on my Mitsu 180D as I simply could not find a replacement bowl for the factory one.
For some reason my bowl shrunk and replacement elements simply would not fit.
The in line being transparent plastic has the advantage of letting you know when to replace it.
For that matter a filter is a filter so why not.
In my case the in line is actually in a more visible location so that's a good thing.
Also being cheap I simply change it annually.

/ in line fuel filter for my Allis B
I was concerned about the fuel flow but now am taking your advice, changed the fittings and will go inline. Thanks for the feedback. All the best.

/ in line fuel filter for my Allis B #4  
Might work, might not. Paper filters, especially small ones are more restrictive than the brass screen in a sediment bowl. The filter you choose may or may not flow sufficient fuel under full load. Unlike a sediment bowl, an in-line filter has no provision for water and solid heavier-than-gas contaminants to settle out away from the filter media. The sediment bowl, it’s screen and the screen at the inlet fitting on the carb should protect the carb if the tank and fuel are reasonably clean.

/ in line fuel filter for my Allis B
Thanks for the comeback Rick. I have made the change but will keep the old sediment bowl just in case. Luckily I will never put this machine under much of a load as it is only a project and will most likely be parked in my shop or barn. You do make a good point and one that I questioned when I sent my post. Hopefully it will do the job.