Buying Advice In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #1  

ifitrocks

Tractor
MTD
Hello,
Welp my 2008 MTD yard machine has once again took a dump. I'm not putting anymore money into it. I'm looking for a good reliable mower/tractor for .55 acres of mostly flat yard other than a ditch. I want something that will last and not be a money pit like my current mower. I want something with some power ( like to pull small stumps up ). I'm looking to spend no more than 1000 dollars. What do you all suggest?? If I buy something used what would be considered a lot of hours? and things to look for? what years are good?

Last edited by a moderator:
   / In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #2  
A thousand dollars? Sorry, but you MAY find a 1940's tractor somewhere for that. Then you will need the mower attachment to go with it. I would recommend a Mahindra eMAX-22 or similar unit. B.

/ In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #3  
Hello,
Welp my 2008 MTD yard machine has once again took a dump. I'm not putting anymore money into it. I'm looking for a good reliable mower/tractor for .55 acres of mostly flat yard other than a ditch. I want something that will last and not be a money pit like my current mower. I want something with some power ( like to pull small stumps up ). I'm looking to spend no more than 1000 dollars. What do you all suggest?? If I buy something used what would be considered a lot of hours? and things to look for? what years are good?
Good luck finding a heavy duty lawn tractor for a $1,000 bucks.Like to pull small stumps up,are you serious?

Last edited by a moderator:
   / In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #4  
$1000 will get you a used MTD mower 1-2 years old with 52" deck that may last you another 5 years. MTD makes almost all of the box store brands of mowers and you may find one of the really low end ones in like 38" deck for a grand.

It wont get you any kind of tractor that is reliable. Maybe an old 8N needing a lot of TLC but the mower wont be there. Even a used RFM will be more than your budget.

/ In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #5  
1/2 acre to mow, you are pretty much left to local hardware stores, and lawn mower repair shops of what the current sale is going on.

goto general websites,
example google , then click on "shopping" and type in riding lawn mower, and look for how many reviews a unit has, more the better
goto sears, website and do same thing, etc... etc.. to other local seller websites, and look at how many reviews...

more reviews then more likely a better chance that, the given mower has sold a good amount of times.

/ In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #6  
When I mowed my 1/2 acre, I walked behind my mower.

/ In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres
Thanks for the reply. I could potentially come up on my budget. Its a bit flexible. Seems everyone is a bit hung up on the pull stumps thing. I mostly meant i didn't want something underpowered.

/ In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #8  
You might also watch estate sales. Sometimes they are just try to get rid of things and used mowers might be priced right. I have a 1986 Honda riding mowers that is still going strong. If I wanted it to die, I would probably have yo shoot it. It just won't stop.

/ In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #9  
When I mowed my 1/2 acre, I walked behind my mower.

Same here...

As far as the stump pulling, the OP might be better served by renting the proper equipment when he needs it.

/ In need of a good reliable lawn tractor for .55 acres #10  
search for "A frame stump pulling" or "rim pulling stump"

the goal with A frame or a old rim from a vehicle. is to provide an upward force vs a side ways force. to pull some bushes up and out.
just be careful when using chains, cable, or rope, it is way to easy to get them to snap, and come flying at you with deadly force. with that avoid doing the "running start" were ya leave some slack in the line, and then pedal through the floor and try to rip the stump / bush out. that normally at least for means = dead whip of cable, chain, rope coming back at me. other words slowly tighten the chain and apply steady force. if it doesn't budge do something else "bigger vehicle or tractor, more digging and/or chopping. but not the "running start" thing.

with royjackson, you can rent a "mini ex" from local equipment places fairly cheap, call up places up to 2 hours away, prices can range a good amount, some places can deliever, other places might have a rental trailer you can use if you have a large enough truck to pull trailer and mini ex, or skid steer. many folks here save up tasks / jobs / projects, then rent a mini ex, or skid steer, for a weekend warrior brawl, and get everything they can done with it. longer rentals as in days, you can get a descent discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.