In New England the Ground Grows Rocks

/ In New England the Ground Grows Rocks #11  
We have some potholes here but the frost heaves are more in numbers. I guess it depends on were one is. It true about them being speed bumps.

I'm ready for the snow. Put the snow tires and plow pump belt on one of the trucks yesterday just in case. The are calling for snow and rain showers in the valley and snow showers in the mountains through Wednesday.

Yesterday I drove up the mountain road (route 242). There was a break in the clouds and I could see the top of the mountain. It had a white tint to it just on the very top. I'm sure this isn't the end. I need a week of good warm weather for the newly seeded grass to take hold.

Must be pretty nasty on top of Mount Washington?

Derek

/ In New England the Ground Grows Rocks #12  
We spent the month of January '90 in Tucson. Very pleasant (mid-60s or so) in the RV resort, then quite a contrast to drive up Mt. Lemmon to the ski lodge for lunch and watch the skiers in the snow. The picture, though, reminds of a time when someone showed a similar picture to my old grandpappy (an Oklahoma farmer) and said something about how pretty that was, and he said, "Well, what's pretty about it? You couldn't plow or grow anything there. That land's worthless!"

Bird

/ In New England the Ground Grows Rocks #13  
Yeah, maybe you can't do much up there but back down around town the fruit trees come in bunches a lot more than in NY... also around the NM/AZ border, you'll find 'wine & pecans next exit' signs... with some big orchards to follow. And I was surprised to see other field crops growing in the AZ desert... and in NM, and CO, etc.

msig.gif

/ In New England the Ground Grows Rocks #14  
Yep, Muhammad, it's amazing what they can grow in that desert since they learned to drill deep wells and set up irrigation systems. We stopped just for the night, and stayed 4 days, in Willcox, where they said apples have replaced cattle as the primary money maker. The Stout Cider Mill sure had some fine cider and so many kinds of fine apple pies that I wasn't able to sample all of them./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And they were plowing under nice lettuce crops that winter because they said the price was too low to make it profitable to harvest./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ In New England the Ground Grows Rocks #15  
In Wisconsin the glaciers have " bulldozed " the landscape 17 times or so according to National Geographic. The glaciers tended to melt parallel to the lake Michigan shoreline and drop their rocks there.When immigrant farmer settled around Sheboygan, the 'rocks were so thick they had to clear the land with crowbars'. Also,the topagraphy of the southeast Wisconsin is very different than the rest of the state (made up of hills and valleys) because the glaciers melted by the waters of the Mississippi/St. Croix rivers and, therefore didn't bulldoze the features of the land. In Wisconsin we got a lot of 'Canadien' rocks!

RCH