Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own?

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #61  
But yet you do it, apparently by choice. Discounts come to some who pay in full, on time. Convenience typically is accompanied by extra cost.
The way it works is by the time the tax is due they have already collected all of the money. Maybe there is a fee on their end, I do not know. I would like to get a credit for them not having to have someone collect the mail, open a letter, account for and process a physical check. But I am sure I will be waiting a long time for that credit. I do it for convenience as you say.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #62  
Why do us old folks (over 80), who only make a little money (less than $40,000) have to pay / file taxes? Seems like to me that we should not have to bother with it after all these years of ...Working....Military Service..... and....paying taxes.

Boy,......is that a stupid question!!!
Cheers,
Mike
I also wonder why I have to pay School Tax when I don't have any children.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #63  
My brother was a big time mucky muck in the accounting business so he did mine but after 20 years i felt guilty and tried my self.

Warning.....if you find anything/everything on the internet to be challenging, don't use TT.

Disclaimer.....i can't do anything on the internet except buy stuff. i'm incompetent, nothing makes sense to me.

With that in mind, i did my taxes last year on TT but forgot to fill out form 1040F which is for farmland. Then, Some state agency wanted to see the 1040F.

I paid H&R Block way too much money to fix it.

The lady told me i entered my dividend income on TT 3 times! That's because when i hit the tappy tappy button nothing happens.....so i tappy tappy again.

I hear from all the presidential candidates that pretty soon we can do our taxes on a postcard.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #67  
The same reason you have to pay police tax when you don't commit any crimes.
A huge percentage of those that do commit crimes do not pay taxes. Things are really backwards.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #68  
A huge percentage of those that do commit crimes do not pay taxes. Things are really backwards.
The "defund the police" crowd has never been anywhere with no police force.

The "defund the schools" crowd has never been anywhere with no public education.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #69  
Another Turbo Tax fan here. I've been using it for 10 years now. Prior to that, I paid my step brother $240 to prepare the returns. I usually use the Premier version for federal and state which includes free e-filing for the fed return. The state return costs an additional $25.

The big advantage for me in using TT is, it lets you compare current entries to those of previous years. It also tells you if an entry will raise a red flag for a possible audit.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #70  
I wonder how many US states charge for efiling the state income tax return. Here in CA, efiling your 540 return using TurboTax costs a huge premium ($25), versus printing and snail-mailing (less than $1).

Seems to me states should encourage efiling.

Note that many taxpayers with simple returns, can just filing online for no cost.