Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own?

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #1  

polarred21

Gold Member
Tractor
Contemplating
Well I'm on the fence to continue paying our tax guy $250 again for what is now a very simple return. I just did it by hand using the 1040 .pdf file and know what the results should be. I've always done my own but the past 20 years we have used her family friend tax guy and the bill was $340 last year due to several phone calls and emails required.

Would mail it in but want to file electronically for the refund just need the access to do so.

Leaning towards pulling the trigger for the Turbo Tax or H&R block versions.

So if I use a pay to play version this fee is every year right? I'll have to weigh that against the $250 cost and no headache. Oh wait, I've already done the headache part :confused2:......and I keep my crap in order every year :thumbsup:

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #2  
I used TurboTax for about 15 years but paid a CPA to prepare our 2019 and 2020 returns. I think I'm going back to TT next year.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #3  
I've been using TurboTax for so many years that I've lost count. And I'll probably continue.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #4  
I had been using a tax service for quite a long time. A few years ago, just for fun, I ran my numbers through TT after he had done my return. Viola! The numbers were exactly the same. All that time his "expertise" was simply punching in my numbers on TT. Now I just pay myself :)

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #5  
I've been doing mine for years, but this year paid somebody after I neglected to check off the "I have health insurance" box in 2017... which finally caught up to me. It cost me $145 for them to file for me, and $75 to refile my 2017 return. Hopefully going forward they will save me some money, but for now I just don't feel like dealing with it.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #6  
I always prepare my own taxes and run the business books. Some years it can get complicated especially when involving pass through entities but anyone can perform the work. Biggest hurdle, for most, is the amount of time required to research and understand the new tax laws.

-Chris

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #7  
I do the HR Block version and have for many years, it was Taxcut early on. Or HR Block bought Taxcut. Only one year when I bought and sold houses I went to a tax professional. My federal taxes were 6 digits that year so I wanted them professionally done.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #8  
   / Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #9  
I've always done my own except when working overseas when the company did it for me. I have been using H&R Block software for years and it seems to work well. If you follow the process and make sure you understand the questions you are answering, it will keep you out of trouble. Because I'm a repeat user, I always get mailed discount offers. This year I paid $19.95 for Federal and State software.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #10  
For the last eight years I've used TT - mine are already filed electronically (officially when IRS accepts them - TT holds them till then) - what I owe will be automatically deducted April 15 - it's simple, easy and very cost efficient.....