Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own?

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #101  
We have always had a private tax consultant do our taxes. Peace of mind is a very nice place to be ..........

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #102  
I just finished both my s-corp and personal taxes via Turbotax programs, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #103  
We have always had a private tax consultant do our taxes. Peace of mind is a very nice place to be ..........
The H&R and Turbo programs tell you if you have errors, audit type ratios/numbers, etc. They are pretty good for most people that do not have complicated taxes.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #104  
I've always done my own taxes. The hardest part is gathering all the information, which you have to do, even when someone else is paid to put it on the forms.
If you goof, and I have, the IRS will find it and let you know.
One year the county where my daughter was attending college was declared a disaster area, and you could double the deduction, I did. The IRS said I had made a mistake, and only allowed the normal deduction. I called them, they told me to file an amended return, I told them that 1040X was when I made a mistake, I explained that they made the mistake. Eventually I was able to talk to someone who agreed with me, and they sent me another check to make it right.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #105  
Gov't: You owes us taxes and its your responsibility to figure out how to pay us. Oh, and if you make a mistake we will fine or jail you, or both. Good luck

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #106  
I have heard of horror stories about the IRS.
Over the forty-plus years I've been filing, I have made mistakes in math, which they corrected and adjusted my refund accordingly. Once I neglected to file a 1099 to show distribution of funds, I got a nasty letter with a court date for that one. I called them and explained what led to my failure to file the correct form and was instructed how to correct the mistake. I followed the instruction and received a letter letting me know all was square between us. There is a number to call for help, I have run into people on the other end of the line, who couldn't help, but have always been able to find the answers to my questions from someone there.
A neighbor told me the story of the time he had been audited. He offered the agent coffee, asked him if he would like milk with it, when the agent poured the milk from the pitcher, he asked the guy how much milk they drank a week. The guy had given him raw milk from the bulk tank, and the agent figured how much milk they weren't selling and added that to the income. It sounds like an urban legend, but I believe it really happened.
Thanks for the wish for good luck!

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #107  
Well I'm on the fence to continue paying our tax guy $250 again for what is now a very simple return. I just did it by hand using the 1040 .pdf file and know what the results should be. I've always done my own but the past 20 years we have used her family friend tax guy and the bill was $340 last year due to several phone calls and emails required.

Would mail it in but want to file electronically for the refund just need the access to do so.

Leaning towards pulling the trigger for the Turbo Tax or H&R block versions.

So if I use a pay to play version this fee is every year right? I'll have to weigh that against the $250 cost and no headache. Oh wait, I've already done the headache part :confused2:......and I keep my crap in order every year 👍
I used Turbo Tax for many years. I disliked their current marketing techniques. They would say free or $29 or whatever and by the time you went through the whole proces, it was over $200.
Last year I used HR Block. It wasa bit clunkier than TT but I got done in similar time. I used again this year and even with a lot of unusual circumstances, I got through quickly and it was $29.
I used to have an Accountant do my taxes because he was good and he had worked for the IRS and knew exactly what he could get away with.
Nowadays, most accountants use a software program and it might be as good as TT or HRBlock.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #108  
I've always done my own taxes for 40+ years and tried turbotax 10+ years ago, I didn't care for the product. I tried H&R Block the following year and have stuck with them ever since.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #109  
I used Turbo Tax for many years. I disliked their current marketing techniques. They would say free or $29 or whatever and by the time you went through the whole proces, it was over $200.
Last year I used HR Block. It wasa bit clunkier than TT but I got done in similar time. I used again this year and even with a lot of unusual circumstances, I got through quickly and it was $29.
I used to have an Accountant do my taxes because he was good and he had worked for the IRS and knew exactly what he could get away with.
Nowadays, most accountants use a software program and it might be as good as TT or HRBlock.
I'm not for sure what you we're getting with them that racked up $200. Every year, I get the TT Deluxe (fed/state) for $40, which does it all. If you have a bunch of dividends and stocks and all that, and you really need them to dummy down the interview process for you (and honestly, you don't), you could opt for the Premier for $70, but that should be it.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #110  
Do myself. Always. On paper…….except trying the free-fillable-forms on the irs site this year.