Industrial tire chains

/ Industrial tire chains #1  

JCrist

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2860
I traded tractors and have a set of chains for my previous tractor's ag tires. They are a little long for the new tractors industrial tires so I was going to cut them down. I draped them over the new tires to measure for length and the cross chains all fell completely down into the lugs. They totally disappeared. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a remedy?

/ Industrial tire chains #2  
My chains came with cross links to keep them from sinking in between the lugs. These keep more than enough chain above the links to provide traction. Maybe add these to your chains.

Attachments

• 3BE514A8-7D54-4D2A-99CD-71AE03C8AD76.jpeg
    3BE514A8-7D54-4D2A-99CD-71AE03C8AD76.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 80E0F85C-CC89-4F9B-840F-6363CB0AFD43.jpeg
    80E0F85C-CC89-4F9B-840F-6363CB0AFD43.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 78
   / Industrial tire chains #3  
I traded tractors and have a set of chains for my previous tractor's ag tires. They are a little long for the new tractors industrial tires so I was going to cut them down. I draped them over the new tires to measure for length and the cross chains all fell completely down into the lugs. They totally disappeared. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a remedy?

Sure. Add cross links to connect the chains together. Sometimes you can make the cross links in the form of "X". There a a lot of different patterns.

/ Industrial tire chains #4  
I have used ladder chains on my little TC26DA, and even though it looked like they were in between the lugs. they gave plenty of traction.
The biggest advantage in my experience to the ones with the chains in the middle is that they are much easier to install. Ladder chains are a real pain to install. Still, I'm sure the additional chains add traction, but ladder chains work better than you think they will from looking a them, at least on a 1600 pound tractor. On a 5000 pound tractor, maybe it would be different.

/ Industrial tire chains #5  
About the only way I see a fix is to do this. Buy some big link chain. Not big chain, but with long open links. Cut one side of each link with a thin cutting wheel on a grinder, chain in vise. Put links back in vise starting at end of chain and twist it until it comes off. Get enough to put two links in two places between two cross chains. Then do next two cross chains so on...

You're going to twist them back flat and put some weld on them. But that should do it.

/ Industrial tire chains #6  
The chain style shown in post #2 used to be called a Duo-grip chain,
it will increase your traction and definitely increase the roughness of the ride quality.
They are very bouncy on hard frozen ground or pavement, even more the ladder chains.
You can add connecting chains between the links to create your own Euro stye tire chains;
similar to these, they will provide the best grip and ride quality.
1649842592539.png