Inexpensive Laser Grading

/ Inexpensive Laser Grading #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...t/40-6791/p-1444436554595-c-1549901401009.htm

I've been playing around with the Johnson receiver on my box blade for a couple weeks now and I'm encouraged by the capability. The idea is to grade a pad for a building, for example, to a close tolerance without a very expensive automatic laser grading setup. Slopes are doable if the laser level has that capability. It certainly doesn't match the speed performance of the automatics, however.

It's a matter of watching the LED arrow and making adjustments to the box blade on the go with the rear remote. I find that controlling the blade level with the rear mounted rockshaft wheels to work best. Can also do it with the toplink cylinder.

I have not tried using the tractor's rear view mirror to watch the lights but that is a possibility. I'm used to watching the box blade work anyway so it "works" for me.

The mast holding the receiver is 1 1/2" EMT conduit (1 3/4" OD) mounted to the box blade. I also mounted a linear actuator to which the conduit can be attached for elevating the receiver above the tractor roll bar for full visibility 360 degrees.
There is a digital readout also mounted to the linear actuator for taking elevation readings on a field grid, for example.

The receiver will pick up any red laser from a rotating laser level.

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-Tool-40-6792-Display/dp/B003AM5DWA

Edit: Forgot to mention that this remote is available which plugs into the machine receiver and can be mounted next to the operator. Might be more cost effective, however, to just use the rear view mirror or a camera and monitor if one gets tired of looking back all the time. I've found, and others have told me, that its obvious when rough leveling an area where the high and low spots are and the laser becomes unnecessary until the final grading.

Attachments

• LASERGRADE-1.jpg
    LASERGRADE-1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 545
  • LASERGRADE-2.jpg
    LASERGRADE-2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 561
  • LASERGRADE-3.jpg
    LASERGRADE-3.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
   / Inexpensive Laser Grading
   / Inexpensive Laser Grading #4  
Looking good. Any idea of how much you have invested in this system?

Looking good. Any idea of how much you have invested in this system?

Great to hear from you, Nick, and thanks again for the feedback you've given me on this project. For those of you who may not know, Nick has a full blown automatic laser grader system.

The machine receiver is about $650 (see above) and a stick of 1 1/2" EMT runs about $20 at Home Depot. The linear actuator and digital readout are items I had left over from other projects and could probably find a used actuator on Ebay for maybe $100 to $200. The digital readouts are fairly reasonable at maybe $50. A reversing toggle switch for the actuator goes for about $15. The mounts for the masts are from scrap metal pieces.

I do my own machine work as a retirement hobby so don't consider that as cost. :)

/ Inexpensive Laser Grading #6  
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...t/40-6791/p-1444436554595-c-1549901401009.htm

I've been playing around with the Johnson receiver on my box blade for a couple weeks now and I'm encouraged by the capability. The idea is to grade a pad for a building, for example, to a close tolerance without a very expensive automatic laser grading setup. Slopes are doable if the laser level has that capability. It certainly doesn't match the speed performance of the automatics, however.

It's a matter of watching the LED arrow and making adjustments to the box blade on the go with the rear remote. I find that controlling the blade level with the rear mounted rockshaft wheels to work best. Can also do it with the toplink cylinder.

I have not tried using the tractor's rear view mirror to watch the lights but that is a possibility. I'm used to watching the box blade work anyway so it "works" for me.

The mast holding the receiver is 1 1/2" EMT conduit (1 3/4" OD) mounted to the box blade. I also mounted a linear actuator to which the conduit can be attached for elevating the receiver above the tractor roll bar for full visibility 360 degrees.
There is a digital readout also mounted to the linear actuator for taking elevation readings on a field grid, for example.

The receiver will pick up any red laser from a rotating laser level.

Amazon.com: Johnson Level and Tool 4-6792 Remote Display: Home Improvement

Edit: Forgot to mention that this remote is available which plugs into the machine receiver and can be mounted next to the operator. Might be more cost effective, however, to just use the rear view mirror or a camera and monitor if one gets tired of looking back all the time. I've found, and others have told me, that its obvious when rough leveling an area where the high and low spots are and the laser becomes unnecessary until the final grading.

Ok, I’m intrigued. The linear actuator is just for the digital display? No way to tie it into the gauge wheels or toplink?

Good question! See this thread from 2015:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ital-readout-3ph-top-cylinder.html?highlight=

Particularly on a box blade its handy to dump a "load" and then return to the same exact blade depth. The remote display can be mounted on the tractor dash or fender and the scale could certainly be mounted on the gauge wheels cylinder.

The idea of the linear actuator with the attached position readout: Take a reading where you want to establish a benchmark with the blade just touching the ground and the laser receiver indicating "on grade". Then drive to the first point where you want to see the elevation relative to the benchmark. Zero the digital position readout and then extend or retract the linear actuator until the receiver indicates "on grade" again and note the new position readout. This is basically the same procedure as walking around the area with a grade stick and laser receiver to take readings but a lazy way of doing it.

My understanding of the process would be to mark out a grid of an entire area to be leveled and take elevation readings at each grid point. Then the amount of soil to be moved can be calculated by taking an average. Other TBN members with experience in this area please feel free to chime in.

Note that the actuator and readout are certainly not required for laser grading, they're just "frills" from a guy who likes to play. :)

/ Inexpensive Laser Grading #9  
I知 wanting to do the same thing/set up for my bucket on skid steer. Any video of you using this? Thanks

4-6791 Machine Mountable Detector - YouTube

I don't have any good video but here's one with a skidsteer. (tracked loader actually) I believe that mounting to the bucket would be more precise. A three feet or so length of flat, angle or channel iron clamped to the end of the bucket with the receiver attached to it with the magnets seems like it would be effective. The magnets are super strong.

The magnets would attach well directly to the side of the bucket also but would need a really short tripod. The flat, angle or channel mentioned above would keeps things up out of the dirt also.

Another "bucket video".
laser cutting parkinglot - YouTube