Loader Info needed 861 Powermaster

/ Info needed 861 Powermaster #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
Went to an auction today, the only thing we were interested in was basically was the Ford PowerMaster 861.

It went for more than we wanted to be in it but my buddy bought it. It turns over, won’t fire, just sat in the barn the last 8-10 years. I’m not concerned with it not firing.

What I would like to know is PTO HP number, it’s a gas, internet shows 62hp for the gas and 54hp for the diesel.

The guy bidding against my buddy came over after the auction to chat, he said his neighbor has the diesel version and it’s got a Hi/Low range, he grabbed the shifter and pulled up, the shifter clicked, he said that’s high, clicked down is low range. Tractor Data just shows 5 gears, no Hi/Low.

This tractor has a trip bucket FEL, are those useful for anything? What are they worth?

My buddy and I are getting into hay, this tractor will be used for that along side my JD 4320, so he’s not real interested in the loader, he has a 28 Max XL TLB so he doesn’t need a loader.

The rears on this tractor is filled with calcium, what’s the best way to drain it and stop the corrosion? Prob fill the rears with WWF.

Any info you guys can come up with would be helpful Thanks.

IMG_0712.JPGIMG_0713.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0690.JPGIMG_0687.JPGIMG_0688.JPG

/ Info needed 861 Powermaster #2  
Assuming you have a 5 speed trans; All the way up is R and 3rd
middle is 1st and 2nd
all the way down is 4th and 5th

/ Info needed 861 Powermaster #3  
I'd like to know how much that tractor went for at auction. Willing to share?

I assume you want to know about the horsepower so you can make some determination of what equipment the tractor can handle. There are a lot of guys on here that could certainly help with that. Unless you take that tractor and hook it to a dyno, anything else is just guessing. Although, I would GUESS that it is putting out a few PTO HP less than 62.

The trip bucket loader wouldn't be worth much to me. It could be useful for pushing around brush, general lifting and manure cleaning. $500 or less would be my estimate.

/ Info needed 861 Powermaster #4  
About the calcium, if it leaked inside the rim, you're looking at some work to clean that up. You can get a hose adapter that will screw on to your tube and allow you to hook it up to a garden hose. Or you could get an ag tire service to pump it out. I know one thing, I'll never put calcium in an other tractor tire. It's way more trouble than it is worth.

/ Info needed 861 Powermaster
I'd like to know how much that tractor went for at auction. Willing to share?

I assume you want to know about the horsepower so you can make some determination of what equipment the tractor can handle. There are a lot of guys on here that could certainly help with that. Unless you take that tractor and hook it to a dyno, anything else is just guessing. Although, I would GUESS that it is putting out a few PTO HP less than 62.

The trip bucket loader wouldn't be worth much to me. It could be useful for pushing around brush, general lifting and manure cleaning. $500 or less would be my estimate.

The auction slowed way down around $1300, I was excited for him till this other guy chimed in and they duked it out for awhile. Tractor ended up going for $2400, more than he wanted to be in the tractor, especially since it wasn’t a running tractor.

But in running shape with a fresh splash of paint these tractors are bringing $3500-$5000 depending on condition so if he puts less than $500 in it to make it reliable, sells the loader for $500 or so, he will be alright in it.

My tractor is 40hp at the PTO, I’m buying small enough hay equipment for my tractor to run it, I only expected him to run a 30hp tractor, not a 60hp tractor. It’s good though, means my tractor doesn’t HAVE to run the baler and things, we can trade machine hours.

My baler is a Vermeer 504c, it’s requirements are 30-40hp at PTO, a haybine is around 30 pto HP and a rake is ground driven so that doesn’t matter.

I was just curious what the 861 would put out at the PTO, I know it’s more than my 4320 JD.

/ Info needed 861 Powermaster #6  
I think the 861 will do very well for the applications that you described. Although, I wouldn't really say it is overkill or anything like that. Not that I would recommend doing this, but I have pulled a 12' haybine with mine. The biggest problem was the front being too light with the weight of the big hydraulic swing haybine hanging on the back. Those tractors have a very good power to weight ratio, but a more realistic PTO horsepower number would be closer to 45. You may also find that the 861 has a lot more torque than your 40 HP utility tractor.

/ Info needed 861 Powermaster #7  
but a more realistic PTO horsepower number would be closer to 45. You may also find that the 861 has a lot more torque than your 40 HP utility tractor.

I agree with this. 861's are great utility/chore tractors, but they are not really heavy, and I know a load of square bales on a wagon could get interesting really quick on a hill. I see you're in central Ohio, so you might not have that problem.

I agree with this. 861's are great utility/chore tractors, but they are not really heavy, and I know a load of square bales on a wagon could get interesting really quick on a hill. I see you're in central Ohio, so you might not have that problem.

The field I’m going to hay isn’t particularly hilly, I’ll be bailing round bales anyway lol.

I think the 861 will do very well for the applications that you described. Although, I wouldn't really say it is overkill or anything like that. Not that I would recommend doing this, but I have pulled a 12' haybine with mine. The biggest problem was the front being too light with the weight of the big hydraulic swing haybine hanging on the back. Those tractors have a very good power to weight ratio, but a more realistic PTO horsepower number would be closer to 45. You may also find that the 861 has a lot more torque than your 40 HP utility tractor.

12ft? Lol, I was gonna be around 7ft on the haybine just because it fits easier on my trailer.

I have a few hanging weights laying around I could throw on the front of his tractor, 220lbs worth.