Informal Poll: Emissions problems on your 5-series JD tractor? Please reply!

/ Informal Poll: Emissions problems on your 5-series JD tractor? Please reply! #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I need to know if you have had (are having) issues with the EPA mandated garbage that JD has to put on these tractors now. I'm thinking about picking up another used 5M, and I need to know if emissions trouble is a real issue or not.
As you can see in my signature, I already have two 5-series tractors, one M and one E. Both of them, and both of my blue tractors, are all pre-emission. I'm looking at purchasing another cab tractor, probably a 5M, likely a 5100M. In any case, I don't want anything lower HP than what I already have, and would like a little more. I have about 110 acres of land, with about half of that in hay production. I average about 500 tractor hours per year combined. (approx. 200 hrs each on the cab tractors, and another 100 on the open stations)

Most of what I'm seeing on the used market is more newer than older. A lot of 2014-2016 models. So, Tier III, Interim Tier IV, and Tier IV. I'd love to hear your real-world stories about the pros and cons of the newer set-ups.

So, PLEASE, if you have a 5-series (or 6-series with the same 4.5L motor) that has a EGR, DPF, Regen, DEF, or Catalyst, Respond to my "poll" and tell me your experience: good or bad.
Please state the model number, year, hours, and emissions Tier. Thanks

/ Informal Poll: Emissions problems on your 5-series JD tractor? Please reply! #2  
I need to know if you have had (are having) issues with the EPA mandated garbage that JD has to put on these tractors now. I'm thinking about picking up another used 5M, and I need to know if emissions trouble is a real issue or not.
As you can see in my signature, I already have two 5-series tractors, one M and one E. Both of them, and both of my blue tractors, are all pre-emission. I'm looking at purchasing another cab tractor, probably a 5M, likely a 5100M. In any case, I don't want anything lower HP than what I already have, and would like a little more. I have about 110 acres of land, with about half of that in hay production. I average about 500 tractor hours per year combined. (approx. 200 hrs each on the cab tractors, and another 100 on the open stations)

Most of what I'm seeing on the used market is more newer than older. A lot of 2014-2016 models. So, Tier III, Interim Tier IV, and Tier IV. I'd love to hear your real-world stories about the pros and cons of the newer set-ups.

So, PLEASE, if you have a 5-series (or 6-series with the same 4.5L motor) that has a EGR, DPF, Regen, DEF, or Catalyst, Respond to my "poll" and tell me your experience: good or bad.
Please state the model number, year, hours, and emissions Tier. Thanks

2017 5100e 120 hrs. Tier 4b?

Honestly never have noticed it regen. According to the manual it’s light is supposed to come on. It’s been in the shop for the def dosage pump and the code that does with it. Also had a def gauge that would onkh ready 3/4 of a tank or less

Brett

/ Informal Poll: Emissions problems on your 5-series JD tractor? Please reply!
Rusty, thanks for the reply.

Yours is new enough that the issues were taken care of under warranty, right?

/ Informal Poll: Emissions problems on your 5-series JD tractor? Please reply! #4  
Rusty, thanks for the reply.

Yours is new enough that the issues were taken care of under warranty, right?

Absolutely. It been a few inconviences but warranty fixed it up and it’s been great. The issues were not mission critical failures and I took it in at my convience

Brett

Absolutely. It been a few inconviences but warranty fixed it up and it’s been great. The issues were not mission critical failures and I took it in at my convience

Brett

Good to know. At least you weren't shut down over it.

So, NOBODY else has had trouble with their emissions?

/ Informal Poll: Emissions problems on your 5-series JD tractor? Please reply! #7  
You might try some other forms like Ag Talk. I would expect a few with some issues but far less than expected. I don't think these issues are endemic to the series. My bigger concern is the long term cost associated with the EPA mandated DPF, EGR, etc. I've personally had zero issues with a New Holland Workmaster and now 4.75 in 2 years of service. The t4.75 I purchased used with 1000 hours and no warranty or repairs required in that time to the EGR valve. Who knows what the long term performance will be.

. . . Who knows what the long term performance will be.

Yeah, that's what concerns me.

But, the only options are live with the EPA garbage, or look for an older tractor.

Thanks for your response.

/ Informal Poll: Emissions problems on your 5-series JD tractor? Please reply! #9  
If the need ever arises that require replacement of the diesel oxidation catalyst hang on to wallet. RE566432 Diesel Oxidation Catalyst - ADD 2,271.97 USD

/ Informal Poll: Emissions problems on your 5-series JD tractor? Please reply! #10  
I bought a new 5100M last year. Currently have 65hrs on it. Zero issues so far.

Hay season starts here in a week or two, so I’ll rack up at least another 100 hrs fairly quickly.