infrared OR blue flame heater

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #1  

gotrocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
B-2910 delivered 8/23/01
Back again for some knowledgeble input (opinions).
I'm looking at natural gas heaters.

Both are rated 30,000 BTU one is infrared and the other is blue flame.

Since I don't see and efficency rating does anyone know which will give the best performance?

Both are Vent-Free.

Ok now let's don' get a "heated" discussion going, :D :)

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #2  
I've had both, and seems to me the infrared provides more heat using less gas, but like you i haven't seen the "data".

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #3  
I got to looking at the northern tool catalog and then reading and it seems that the radiant heaters are more intended for direct "line-of-sight" heating where the heat actually shoots into you for warmth. They actually say it heats like the sun.This means no walls needed and close proximity is better since warming the air is not the intent.

The blue flame is a convection heater which will heat the air in a room more so than radiate heat. They heat like a furnace.

Since both are "rated" for use indoors and neither is vented I feel pretty good assuming that both are as efficient as possible and since 100% of the fuel goes into making heat I would say they are 100% efficient.

Sounds like you need to decide between heat like the sun or like a furnace.

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #4  
Does 'vent free' mean that you can't operate these heaters in confined spaace without ventilation? Or is the flow of oxygen so low that air infiltration into the space will provide for the air not becoming depleted. I am thinking of the horror stories of folks heating with a kitchen stove and being overcome by carbon monoxide gas and lack of oxygen.

Jim

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #5  
Buckeye_Jim said:
Does 'vent free' mean that you can't operate these heaters in confined spaace without ventilation? Or is the flow of oxygen so low that air infiltration into the space will provide for the air not becoming depleted. I am thinking of the horror stories of folks heating with a kitchen stove and being overcome by carbon monoxide gas and lack of oxygen.

Jim

Hey Jim. You can operate vent free heaters without ventilation. My son purchased a heater, infrared variety. It has an Oxygen Depletion sensor which will shut off the heater if oxygen gets too low. I believe, although I am not positive of this, that such sensors are mandated throughout the country.

Another son purchased a similar heater for his RV to be used when visiting friends in the rockies. I guess these Oxygen Depletion sensors don't work so good at high altitudes, since there is less oxygen in the first place. He finally found one without said sensor, but he had to lie a bit and use another address to get it shipped to him.

Mike

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #6  
i've had both: get the infrared heater: i don't like the thermostat control type,
they are either all on or all off: we have a 5 burner infrared, and it seldom is turned above one burner: it will burn with one, three or 5: and its really gotta be cold to put it on 3 and leave it very long: we do close doors and only heat about 900 sq ft with it.
heehaw

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #7  
I believe that the installation instructions for these heaters still advise to crack a window for fresh air when the heater is in use. The pilots are suppose to shut the heater down when oxygen levels drop.I would choose the infrared over blue flame

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #8  
There are indoor rated propane burners that are both very efficient and also have some sort of oxygen depletion sensor. The ones I have read up on always warn not to sleep with the heaters running. It is a big debate among the RV crowd since there is a desire to have electric free heat inside a cold RV. The big problem, if you don't mind less oxygen, will be moisture accumulation since even ideal 100% combustion of propane throws mucho moisture into the air.

The typical indoor rated propane heater is way less powerful than 30,000 btu. Think,10-18000 btu from those disposable cylinders. 30,000 btu is a small furnace and those puppies will likely not be indoor rated.

/ infrared OR blue flame heater #9  
the only thing a infrared heater is good for is if you have a wash in your yard throw it in it to help stop it from washing out any bigger

if your shack is not insulated the only way a infrared will keep you warm is to sit about a foot from it with a heavy coat on

when a blue flame heater comes on you can feel the heat in a back room just that fast