Ingersoll Garden Tractors

/ Ingersoll Garden Tractors #1  

Anonymous Poster

I would like to learn more about these tractors, especially the 3000 and 4000 series. Price, performance, quality, longevity all the usual questions. I have checked out there website but if anyone has any other references and or opinions I would appreciate the info. Thank you in advance.

/ Ingersoll Garden Tractors #2  
What do you need to know? Most of my expearance is with the older ones, but I may be able to help. Also try Yahoo clubs.http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/casegardentractors

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ Ingersoll Garden Tractors #3  
Bill,
I have a 1996 4018 with 4' deck, 4' rear sweeper, 4' front blade, 4' auger snow plow,- 200 ft.driveway.
I have five acers with three being yard (lawn). First of all this is no small tractor, re: power,
performance, quality!!! IMHO, I don't think there's another color tractor in it's class, (Cub, Deere, etc.)
that even comes close to the Ingersoll.(enen though the 4018 just happins to be a dead color match
for my Kubota 2710)
Keep in mind that you get what you pay for........ The 18hp through the HST is a formidable
combinatoin. POWER, POWER!! I sware the thing would clinb a tree it if had traction.......
Snow, grass, or dirt -- you cant stop it...... Outstanding engineering, no add on thoughts, designed
fron the ground up to last a life time, - no kidding! If you have a more specific question I'll be
glad to help.

Phil

/ Ingersoll Garden Tractors #4  
I looked at these for many years, and would have bought one as a garden tractor if I hadnt decided to go up to a full size compact. They are built solid. Lifetime warranty on the whole powertrain. The only garden tractor (or compact tractor) that is all hydraulic. They even have a loader model with a very strong loader.

Bad points are no 4wd and dealers that are few and far between.

/ Ingersoll Garden Tractors
glennmac, phil and s1120 thank you for the info. I am now more intrigued. How is power transfered to the belly mower ie belts, direct drive? What are the advantages of all hydraulics? Do they have foot controls and is the transmission hst? My basic needs are for finish mowing, pasture mowing, snow removal (snow blower or blade, recommendation) and tilling on about 2 acres. We are also hoping to get a horse. A kubota BX2200 would be perfect for my needs but I need to find a less expensive alternative. Is the Ingersoll line comparable? What would I expect to pay? And yes I am finding dealers are far and few between. I live in Utah and the closest dealer is in Kansas. Thanks again for you responses.
Bill

/ Ingersoll Garden Tractors #6  
The Ingersoll is interesting, but the BX would be far superior for many reasons. In fact, I bought a BX instead of the Ingersoll. Then after 3 weeks I traded the BX for a much larger 2910. So, I really would have made a mistake had I bought the Ingersoll--way too small.

The trans is hydraulic as is the pto. It has its own line of hydraulically driven rear attachments--brush cutter, log splitter, rear finish mower, some others. Of course, these attachments are proprietary so they wont fit on any other tractor, and regular (mechanical pto) tractor implements wont fit on the Ingersoll. Probably impossible to trade and difficult to sell. The belly decks are belt driven, except on one model I saw last year the belly deck was hydraulically driven. As I said, there is a hydraulic rear mower.

They really arent that much cheaper than a BX. The BX is a real diesel tractor, takes regular implements, has dealers, will hold a high resale value, can be traded up, etc. etc. The Ingersoll is unique and interesting and a tough garden tractor, but the BX can outperform it in all aspects in my opinion. Finally, the Ingersoll has no 4wd, which is very helpful for loader work and snow. I wouldnt buy a tractor without 4wd.

Ingersoll has a website that used to have good info and pics.

/ Ingersoll Garden Tractors #7  
Other problems.

Few dealers. [I am lucky, one right down the road]

No loader [can get a tractor with a loader, but makes a bad mower]

Implements $$$$$$ [can get used. Most fit from early 70’s up]

2wd

Looks [I for one love a tractor, that looks like a tractor, but some people want one that looks like there car]

Would I buy another one? Yes. We got one for my wife, Michele. If they came out with a BX killer, 4WD, loader, cat 1 3PH. I would be there.

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ Ingersoll Garden Tractors #8  
Bill,
Now that you have told us a little more of your plans for the Ingersoll: I tend to agree with the others
that maybe a BX would be a better choice. Field mowing and cleaning out horse stalls is a bit
beyond the limits of a 'Garden Tractor'. My 4018 Ingersoll is intended for snow, grass, pulling a garden
trailer, grading/pushing loose dirt, general yard work, etc. and it does an outstanding job.
No 4wd is necessary so it's a moot point. If more heft and power is required I use my Kubota 2710.
The best blend of the two would be the BX......... The BX can't do what the 2710 can do but do more
than the Ingersoll. As you get more into tractor-by-net you will discover that there is no ONE
machine that can do everything. Match YOUR machine to YOUR tasks......

An Ingersoll 4018 with three or four attachments will run you around 10 - 12 thousand $$$$

Phil B