Injector cleaner

/ Injector cleaner #11  
I never used any additive during the 7 years with the VW TDI. They don't recommend any.

Very seldom did on the 240D: that once after being stored and once with some ATF. Nothing else in 25 years.

/ Injector cleaner #12  
The problem is people post they have been using some additive for years, and there Tractor, truck, car, whatever runs great with it. The question is would the results be the same if they haven’t been using the additive. I have actually done research on this subject in the past and haven’t come to my opinion lightly. That said it is an opinion, and I drive a Ford truck, not a Dodge.

I drive Ms. Daisy................:)

/ Injector cleaner #13  
I run,have run for as long as I can remember, Power Services grey in my 5 diesels, per bottle recommendations continuously. I recently started adding a quart of ATF/100 gallons for pump/upper cyl lube due to ultra low sulphur diesel.

/ Injector cleaner #14  
I think a lot of what you add or don’t add has a lot to do with the age of the machine. Newer stuff definitely is designed to run on the ultra low sulfur fuel. Older stuff not so much.

When I owned a diesel truck I did a lot of reading on the subject. My memory is a diesel truck mag did quite a bit of testing and the result was two stoke motor oil was the one that was the best. Ash less seemed to be important and I think the Wal Mart stuff was some of the best. Like I say this would be for older stuff not designed for low sulfur fuel.

/ Injector cleaner #15  
In reality the only thing that sulfur in diesel does is lubricate the micro honed surfaces of the injector pump so with a common rail high pressure injection diesel there is really no mechanical pump, hence no precision wearing surfaces.

/ Injector cleaner #16  
The injectors themselves are a wear item and are very sensitive to dirt. They also have the high pressure pump, such as a CP3, that are subject to failure. The newer stuff is just designed to run on modern fuels.

/ Injector cleaner #18  
Does anyone run desiel injector cleaner through once in a while as preventative and which brand do you like

Everyone like to call any additive "Snake oil"
Well for 40 plus years I've adding snake oil to my vehicles and equipment and have never had an injector or engine problem. I even run a batter snake oil that kept my forklift battery alive for 15 plus years and at 5K a battery I'm glad I used the snake oil. My forklift company said they've never seen a battery last that long.

While everyone was having Toyota sludge problems with their Toyotas Vans in the 90 my van ran like a swiss watch. While people were having problems with their sprinter vans with injectors and EGR valves I went to 200k and never has an issue.

I've used the additive on my 30ft box delivery trucks, lawnmowers, compressors, pressure washers, etc, I put the stuff in the tranny, rear ends, front differentials, transfer cases anywhere oil goes I add my snake oil.

On a chevy van, my workers used they never checked the oil and it ran out of oil and knocking. The mechanic said the vehicle was junk. I filled it with oil my nuclear submarine additive and she ran for another 100K miles of abuse from my employees and ran great when I sold it to an employee who ran it for another 7 years.

I could not care less what people say about snake oil all I know is it has worked for me for decades and even yesterday My Kubota, Takeuchi excavator, and 2019 Ford F250 all got their dose of diesel additives and my special oil additives.

Could I have just been "lucky" on these dozens of vehicles or was it the snake oil? One will never know, but I do know my equipment runs better.

I just remembered the test I did 30 years ago before using the oil additive I use. I had an old 60-gallon compressor that I purchased used from a body shop. The compressor always got do hot you could smell it plus the powder coating was peeling off the head of the pump. It got so hot you could cook a can of soup on it.

I put in some of the oil additives and after that, the compressor ran so cool you could rest your hand on it, something you could never do before. Unscientific but it convinced me to use the stuff.

Don't ask what I use I'm not in the mood to debate the merits of the additive, it works for me and that's all I care about.

/ Injector cleaner #19  
I remeber seeing a guy put transmission fluid in an old Chevy Suburban diesel. I asked why, he said he has 800K on the vehicle and he drops in a can of tranny fluid every three of four tanks. Who am I to argue he had the proof right there. That engines was one of the worst engines made and he had that many miles on it.

/ Injector cleaner #20  
This is not about additives, but I had a mechanic years ago (80s or 90s) tell me to add some ATF to engine oil and run it before changing the oil. He said it's higher level detergents would help clean out the engine insides. He was a friend, not someone who worked on my cars.