Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor

/ Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor #1  

Trains1938

I people, I have a 2005 Janma 254 Tractor. None of gauges work except the amp meter when I start it (it shows a discharge because I preheat the glow plugs). Does anybody know how to remove the instrument cluster. I have tried but could not. No the head lights don't either.

/ Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor #2  
There are 4 studs mounted to the back side of the instrument cluster. It is a real bugger to wiggle your hands with a wrench up behind the fuel tank to get to the nuts. Getting them off is hard, putting it back together is harder. I made clips that hold mine in from the instrument side. Not as pretty but a lot easier to work on.

/ Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor #3  
I forgot there were two brackets that mounted on the studs from the back side. My parts manual does not show it but you can see a photo here:
0304-112 Cluster Gauge | Jinma, Farm Pro and Nortrac Tractors | Circle G
You can see the outside clips that I made in this photo. I used a clip-nut on the fiberglass for something to screw into. I don't have any photos of that part.

Attachments

• WP_20200826_12_01_45_Pro (2020_08_26 18_04_50 UTC).jpg
    WP_20200826_12_01_45_Pro (2020_08_26 18_04_50 UTC).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 146
   / Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor #4  
Piper, do you have an anchor light on your tractor?

/ Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor #5  
Yeah Bob, I do. Not in this picture are switches for the Bat-Grapple, Bat-Smokescreen, and Bat-Ejection seat! Criminals Beware. Meanwhile, back at the Bat-cave, the Bat-guano is getting a little deep!

Actually, a few years back the stock switches were wearing out and or so dirty they didn't work very well. I found these sets of waterproof switches with back lights made for boats at a reasonable price. They were only slightly larger than the stock switches but I had to modify the mounting plates just a little to get them in. Of course the plugs on the tractor wiring harness didn't fit either so I pulled the wires out of the sockets and replaced any bad spade terminals as I went. The lighted area on the new switch was blank but there were a bunch of boat related decals to put on indicating the function. I used a left and right anchor as arrows for the turn signals. The turn-signal/Flasher lights had problems with cross lighting due to the new switches using a common ground for the back light because of they are LED. I solved that by wiring in an old bridge rectifier. It is all taped up and stuffed up behind the switches. If I ever get around (or mad enough) to make all new wiring harnesses I will do a proper job. At least now all the switches function and can be seen at night.

While I was adjusting the switch face plate I nudged the right side bank to the left a little to get room to install the LED voltmeter next to the key switch. Now I have both amp and volt meters, although the amp is in bad shape as the needle warped in the sunlight and drags a little. The oil pressure gauge is stuck most of the time, but the idiot light works as a cross check. Hopefully someday I will have time to either fix this cluster or enough money to buy a new one. Short of that I will rip the whole thing out and make a new panel with new off the shelf gauges and lights.

/ Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor
   / Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor
I forgot there were two brackets that mounted on the studs from the back side. My parts manual does not show it but you can see a photo here:
0304-112 Cluster Gauge | Jinma, Farm Pro and Nortrac Tractors | Circle G
You can see the outside clips that I made in this photo. I used a clip-nut on the fiberglass for something to screw into. I don't have any photos of that part.
Mr. Piper, Just thinking about the cluster. Before I invest in a new one, can you think of any other reason that would cause all the gauges to stop working at once. It is hard to believe that all of them would quick at once. I did read some where that if the head lights didn't work, that would be a clue. My head lights don't work.

/ Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor #8  
Yes. The amp-meter is in the circuit before the switch which controls everything else. It is likely you could have a blown fuse or a broken wire or a bad key switch.
Do you have the owners manual or a wiring schematic?
I can help you with some basic troubleshooting to see if you can find the problem.
Do you have a multi-meter or 12Volt test light?

/ Instrument panel in a Janma 254 Tractor #9  
Look at the plug in for the wiring, there is a large white wire that has been know to come loose that will kill everything on your panel, wiggle the wire while the tractor is running see if anything changes

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales Co
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
www.affordabletractorsalesco.com
979-865-4002