Interesting Counterweight

/ Interesting Counterweight #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
Bought an old 8N yesterday with a loader that has this hunk of iron on the back for a counterweight.

Anyone know what this is?

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

/ Interesting Counterweight #2  
Looks to be part of a gearbox from an Otis elevator. I used to work in an old building and had access to the elevator equipment. It was newer, but there was a large work gear drive that resembled this. It had been removed from service but was too large to move out so it was shoved into a corner and scrapped in place.

/ Interesting Counterweight #3  
Part of an old Otis Elevator drive system. I think that was a worm-and-ring box.

/ Interesting Counterweight #4  
Looks to be part of a gearbox from an Otis elevator. I used to work in an old building and had access to the elevator equipment. It was newer, but there was a large work gear drive that resembled this. It had been removed from service but was too large to move out so it was shoved into a corner and scrapped in place.

It would seem you are exactly correct
otis.jpg

/ Interesting Counterweight #5  
Now you know why the previous owner kept referring to the tractor as "Otis" !

/ Interesting Counterweight
I kinda figured with the Otis on it. I plan to hang on to it. If I need to hang it back on I will refine the mount. They had run a steel rod through it, hooked on with a comealong and winched it up in the center. It bent the rod almost 45 degrees but the holes were large enough to fish it out without the torch.

/ Interesting Counterweight #7  
Nice Come-a-long, too. I have 2 of them just like it, one old and one much newer. Not even sure where the old one is anymore...

/ Interesting Counterweight #8  
That wide-angle view of the rear axle makes it appear to be bowed!