Interesting discoveries ...

/ Interesting discoveries ... #1  

Qapla

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH
We recently made some changes with our tractors. We had traded in a rather old Ford 1900 for a new Mahindra 4525 2WD gear tractor. The tractor works just fine for the job it was purchased for but we had continuing electrical problems. Hopefully they are now fixed. Seems that a fender mounted light was wired "backward" from the factory. It took the dealer some time to locate this odd problem ... they have since found the same problem on another new Mahindra they recently sold.

We also traded a FarmTrac 360DTC TLB 4WD for a NewHolland TC40D 4WD with a FEL and a Woods BH. The FT was a shuttle shift and the NH is HST.

We use this tractor mostly with the FEL and traded because we needed to replace the clutch for the 4th time and the tractor was only from 2005.

The TC40D is a used tractor that was sold with a warranty. There were some issues and they (the dealer) fixed those without complaining. Well, today we picked it up from the dealer and were working with the FEL. We noticed that the 4WD did not seem to be working. We looked to see if we had it properly engaged (after all, the tractor is new to us) and all seemed set properly.

Finally, I looked to see if there was some sort of "lock-out" on the front end that we did not know about and found the problem ... There was NO drive-shaft running to the front differential. We called the dealer and had to take the tractor right back to them. They are going to take care of it - it was purchased as a 4WD. No one seems to know why someone would remove the shaft and not put it back and no one thought to look to see if it was there to start with ... who would??

Just thought I'd share since both of these events were a bit of an oddity.

/ Interesting discoveries ... #2  
Well, I have to admit... I came for the title and the post lived up to it!!! :D Glad to hear it's being taken care of...

/ Interesting discoveries ... #4  
Yep, I had no idea what this thread was about, but have to agree, It is interesting.!

James K0UA

/ Interesting discoveries ... #5  
I would bet that the spring pin that held the collar connecting the shaft to the front differential came out, the collar slipped and the shaft dropped off the front diff and the collar fell off and got lost. The previous owner removed the shaft since they didn't have the collar,needed to work, and then didn't deal with it. They may not have really cared about engaging 4wd.

I've seen the mechanical failure, but I'm speculating on the lazy owner.

/ Interesting discoveries ... #6  
I'm very curious what happens when the dealer installs that front driveshaft...

/ Interesting discoveries ... #7  
If it was used for haying, open 4wd driveshafts are often removed as they wrap hay.

/ Interesting discoveries ... #8  
One never knows what they are getting into!
I have to admit this is interesting stuff!:confused2:

/ Interesting discoveries ... #10  
X2

I thought the 4WD drive-shaft was dead unless the tractor was in 4WD?

No the shaft will still turn, driven by the front wheels, It is not powered from the engine thru the transmission, but it will still turn as the front wheels will turn the front axle, and thru the front differential will turn the propeller shaft as there are no "free wheel" hubs on a tractor as you might find on say a front 4wd truck.

James K0UA