Interesting info

/ Interesting info #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
No trespassing signs | Log Home Builders Association

The link leads to this (see below in quotes), there is also a link for the signs. I thought it was very intersting considering the posts about code enforcement, and sometimes the lack of code enforcement. I wonder is this for real?

"We recently received an email from a member who posted our keep out signs on his property. He reported that our signs helped solve the problems he had been having with his neighbors and his local code enforcement agency.

You can buy a pair of these awesome no trespassing signs here.

Quote:
I am writing to let you know how well your keep out signs work.

I had a code enforcement officer (a little power hungry bureaucrat) come on to my property to ask about some fire debris that she had heard about but could not find. I was extremly polite and explained to her that it had been removed.

I then very politely ask her if she read my signs at the end of my driveway. She immediately turned toward me and said DON'T YOU THREATEN ME!

I told her I was not threatening her, I was merely asking if she saw my signs. She again told me "DON'T THREATEN ME, and you can't have that outside storage building on your property." She then started to write me a violation for my storage building.

I requested her supervisors name and phone number, which she gave me with a very cheeky attitude. After she left, I called her supervisor and told him what had happened. I asked him to explain exactly why this officer had been on my land, and if the officer was aware of what the 4th amendment said. I also respectfully offered to send his employee a copy of the U.S. Constitution, since I felt she had violated my rights.

He said that they were very aware of what the Constitution said, and that because a complaint had been filed by a neighbor about my fire debris, his office had to follow up on it.

I agreed with him, but explained that a code violation does not constitute grounds to trespass on my land.

Silence.

He asked me what I wanted. I told him that I simply wanted to be left alone. He said that he would check in to it and get back to me.

I informed him that if I received any kind of citation from their office, that I would consider said citation as proof that his employee had trespassed on my land -- and that I would press charges.

It has been about 2 months and I still have not heard one thing from them; her or her supervisor.

Thanks for the help!"

/ Interesting info #2  
hmm... Wonder if it is true. If LE wants on your land they will come on your land. They may come later with a Search Warrant, but they will come.

The testimony does not ring true with what I know. But then I am far from an expert in this area.

/ Interesting info #3  
Just wondering why you couldnt have a storage building on your land? Sounds like someone let a badge go to their head lol. Good job for sticking up for your rights.:thumbsup:

/ Interesting info #4  
There is a case in Adams County, Colorado that involves a rural property and Social Services and the Sheriff. The property owner confronted SS and Sheriff halfway down the drive to the house. Told them they were trespassing and to leave. They left. The next day he was arrested charged with one count of felony assault on a police officer and two county of felony menacing on the two social services case workers.

Why? "I was standing in my rural driveway holding my shotgun when they drove down our one quarter mile long driveway. I never pointed my gun at anyone, I never threatened anyone. Apparently, if officials of the county come onto your property the Colorado Constitution (Article II, Sections 3 & 13) have no value or meaning."

More details of this encounter may be found on the web site: The RuralJustice.com website.

After a trial and appeal here is what happened.

5/26/2010: Judge’s Ruling For Acquittal Now Available

The Ruling is interesting from a number of perspectives:

The Respect for Private Property
The repeated assertion that the Sheriff’s Deputy and Social Service Workers were illegally upon private property
The fact that no force was applied to the Sheriff… and no assault
The fact that force may be applied to evict trespassers from your property
The Fact that “Government Actors” have a responsibility to look for and abide by “Keep Out” Signs
The assertion that “Government Actors” do NOT have a right to contact you on your property simply because they do this routinely.

This ruling only applies in Adams County, CO but should now be part of "case law".

It is a pretty interesting story if you have the time. Go here RuralJustice.com and start reading from the bottom of the page.

Jack

/ Interesting info #5  
Property,Gun and personal rights are slowly being taken away. Just like a slow cancer eating away at us. We don't know the shape we are in until it is too late. Ken Sweet

/ Interesting info #6  
I don't know about everywhere, but in Jefferson Parish LA., code enforcement officers can not step foot on your property. They may not even knock on your front door.

They can not cite you for any violations that they can not observe from the public street or from neighboring property if the neighbor gives them permission to access it.

Of course, if you get a building permit, this permit gives them permission to access your property.

/ Interesting info
Just wanted to clear up, not me in the article , it was one that i found when looking at log homes.

/ Interesting info #8  
That's interesting. I had an inspector ding me because one of my vehicles was not registered. Since you could not tell that from the street, I asked him how he knew. He said he looked behind it. I asked if he had a warrant, and he said he did not need one if they had received a complaint (Which means my neighbor also trespassed). Which is it? Can they come on your property without a warrant or not?

/ Interesting info #9  
its my understanding that a "complaint filed" is probable cause to enter the property to investigate such complaint.

but if you enter looking an unlicensed vehicle (as per a complaint) you cant not write a ticket for something completely unrelated to it as it is outside the scope of the probable cause they used to enter the property.