Interesting oil brand comparison

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #51  
2000 BMW 3 series, changed oil per car service reminder, donated car at 135,000 miles because not used much anymore, never used any oil between average 16,000 mile change interval, oil changes always at BMW dealer.

2008 BMW 3 series, much better undercarriage, oil changes now over 20,000 miles, no oil consumption when traded on BMW SUV with 3 series at 125,000 miles - car too low for my aging body.

2018 BMW now oil change yearly. Only 8,000 on odometer but year was up, and paid by BMW but the nuisance of spending 30 minutes. Engine now is very small twin turbo that will out-accelerate the others.

From my engineering experience, which was implementing emissions rated OHV from 1994 to beginning of Tier 4, major internal improvements in materials, bearing sizes, etc. requirement states long emissions warranty. In 5 years engine no longer meets emissions and cause is worn cylinders, rings, etc., customer gets an overhaul no charge. Prior, wear is good because profit is in replacement parts, not original engine sale. Emissions screwed that so wear components needed to be improved. So new blocks designed, new pistons and rings. Caterpillar, for example, got out of on highway engines because all were sold at a loss and profits came later through dealer network. Better oils demanded as part of solution. So block materials, bearing materials, etc., all different between 1994 engine and 2020 engine.

My marriage ages ago brought with it a 1961 Chev with no oil filter - it was an option back then - and 1,000 oil change interval. I think we got $100 trade in value when it was replaced in ‘70. My uncle halos had a ‘61, but with oil filter option. School kid overhaul engine out on it at 65,000. Yup, they don’t make them like that anymore.

But my test fleets of diesels, sampling monthly, easy 250 hour oil change upped to 400 hours with protos when I retired. 400 times 45 mph average is 18,000 miles, right? I’d have fleets of 30 machines distributed around the world and never had an engine oil sample test remotely bad throughout endurance test span. Hydraulics a few, axles I don’t want to talk about (no filtration), but engines after about 95 no problems.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #52  
VW says they've never had an oil-related engine failure with their recommended 10k changes (on diesels, no less). Have heard from gasser Benz drivers doing oil analyses showing oil if fine with well over 10k on it.

I'm doing multi year changes now on the tractor, Isuzu diesel generator driver and Tacoma. Think I'll start going 10k on the Miata which doesn't see 10k in a year. All these (except for the tractor) get well warmed up every time they run. The tractor sees every other year. Think I'll even change its coolant this year, being its 5th.

Ralph