Internal hydraulic piston question for you really smart hydraulic guys...

/ Internal hydraulic piston question for you really smart hydraulic guys... #1  

mopardude318

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060 HD12 Oliver 550
I'm rebuilding these power steering rams you see pictured, they are not typically meant to be rebuilt, you throw them away and buy new ones. But new ones are not available, so what I have to do is cut them open, replace the inners, and weld them back up. :)

IMG_2647.jpg

The rods were bent, so I had new ones machined.

IMG_2654.jpg

What I need to replace is this piston 'ring' that goes in the groove. It is made of a teflon type plastic. However, a new ring is not available. I went to a local plastic manufacturer and they tried to machine new ones for me, but we found the fit is really tight and once we stretch them over the piston to sit in the groove, they become distorted, destroying them.

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

Here is another piston and ring out of a "new" cylinder that is nearly identical, that I took apart. You can see it is rather crude, the teflon ring is machined rough, and the piston is kinda beat up. But what this tells me is the ring material isn't too critical...?

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

Is there any reason why I can't have new pistons machined to accept an O-ring? As it is, a standard O-ring will not fit the groove because it is a non standard size. So, if I machine a new piston with a proper groove cut for an O-ring, wouldn't that work as well?

I'm not sure the reasoning why a teflon ring would be used instead of an O-ring. Can someone explain? What are the ill effects?

/ Internal hydraulic piston question for you really smart hydraulic guys... #2  
What pressure does this steering system operate at? Typical O-ring is only good for 1500 PSI without some form of 澱ack-up ring. Teflon will handle higher pressure.

Companies like shambam (spelling) also offer glide rings which are a flat Teflon ring with a o-ring underneath to help 兎nergize the seal against the bore.

/ Internal hydraulic piston question for you really smart hydraulic guys...
From what I can find, there is a pressure relief in the pump that goes off at 1200 psi, so i don't think it can be higher.

It's a small little engine /belt driven pump made by Cessna.

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

/ Internal hydraulic piston question for you really smart hydraulic guys... #4  
Did you try a hydraulic shop with the possibility they may have a ring or similar the size you're after, it doesn't have to be exact style does it?..........Mike

/ Internal hydraulic piston question for you really smart hydraulic guys... #5  
Only thing I can say is try Christopher Seals, Eugene Oregon they have no website but have many seals and do custom seal kits for loggers to keep on their machines.

Address and phone
2493 W 7th Pl, Eugene, OR · (541) 343-0418

David