International 454 - With Loader

/ International 454 - With Loader #1  

PVourlitis

Tractor
Ford LGT14H, Wanting Something Bigger
Hello,
I am looking for a decent tractor with a loader in the $5k range. I know that is a lot to ask for with used tractor price now, but I am willing to wrench on something and put in some elbow grease.
Came across this International 454 with a loader, brush hog, back blade, and 3pt hitch forks for $5000. It starts and runs so I am told.

Other than the normal mechanical checklist to cover, is there anything I should focus on while looking at this tractor?
Specifically to that series of tractor? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221227_144753_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227_144753_Facebook.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20221227_144803_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227_144803_Facebook.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20221227_144809_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227_144809_Facebook.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_20221227_144848_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227_144848_Facebook.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
   / International 454 - With Loader #2  
Not specific to the farmal, but, see if it will cold start and run under load without overheating. Look and see where the leaks are. Check all the fluids and see what it has been running without. Full lift and tilt while steering. PTO smooth engage/disengage. Compression and oil pressure test if you have time and access.

Drive up and down a hill in all gears and make sure it doesn't pop out of third.

Or check what you can, and plan to fix the rest, 5k for a working machine that doesn't leak like a sieve, is probably fair.

If you don't do anything else, run it under load, don't want it if it gets hot, and check fluids, don't want it if it leaks alot or has been run low.

Best,

ed

/ International 454 - With Loader #3  
Brakes and parking brake are main weakness, if the parking brake doesn't work it's no big issue with the loader. The brake pedals are hydraulic brakes and can leak, they can be bled and might work for a while.

5k seems ok with all the attachments if it starts and runs and moves with out anything major wrong.

/ International 454 - With Loader #4  
Doncaster built tractor with a direct injection 179 cu inch three cylinder wet sleeve diesel engine built at the IH factory in Neuss Germany. Probably a Bosch VA injection pump. There were gasoline versions with a British built engine too.

The replaceable cylinder liners had only one oring, so check for coolant in the oil to make sure the o ring isn’t leaking. Easy fix, and not normally a problem, but it is around fifty years old.

/ International 454 - With Loader
I went and looked at it today. It has good bones but it's a little rough around the edges. Everything checked out with the drive train. It has some typical old tractor leaking, but nothing to cause a steady drip.

The loader pivot joints are all pretty worn. It doesn't appear to have any bushings except the ones on the rod ends, and those should be replaced too. Maybe I could machine some new plates with bushings and weld them in?

I'm seriously considering it just due to my budget and the tractor itself is good mechanically. Thanks!

/ International 454 - With Loader #6  
Well, 5K for one that starts, runs, and has a loader is about as good as you will ever do. And it is a common model. I just don't know that model well. One friend had the next smaller similar vintage IH for many years and it was always fine. However it runs now is probably just exactly how it will for years.... might put it in a high gear with a load and stall it to make sure the clutch isn't slipping.

Put your eagle eye on the engine oil. You are looking for antifreeze in the engine oil. Sometimes water/antifreeze will make the engine oil look brown and cloudy instead of black. An old trick it to fold up a paper towel and put a single drop of warm engine oil on the folded paper towel - blotter paper is even better. Look to see the concentric rings. You will generally see the carbon particles float out round a cleaner center. Sometimes water if it is there will show as a greenish ring (antifreeze).

You might be able to find blotter testing photos on Google, I've not looked. Sometimes I will pull a spark plug....oh, this may be diesel & not a gasser.
Finn, how do you know that is the 3 cylinder diesel? Could be a gasser?

That one looks to have decent matching rubber on the back and automotive tires on the front. I do hope that the power steering unti is working well - check that. Those old ag tractors were borderline unusable without PS.

Is that bucket straight on the front loader arms? Is sure looks like it is sitting crooked... or is that just the photos (both photos). Too bad it is missing the original top link, but at least it has one. Fenders are a nice touch. I always like it when the original owner who ordered it new added a few little extras. Gives it some class.

What are you needing a tractor to do? Just occassional lifting and hauling around the property? That one looks like it will do that. We used an old JD for years for exactly that - and had more than $5K in it in the end.... but not much more. Sounds like you are a mechanic, so just trust your feel - and do check out that bucket for straight. The bushings don't bother me as I imagine you will just be using it for some chores. For that, bushings don't much matter.

If it runs OK and starts from cold then you aren't going to do much better - maybe not as good.

rScotty

/ International 454 - With Loader #7  
If you happen to purchase that tractor, this is an IH salvage yard in Indiana that is a pretty good bunch of folks that can be helpful for parts both used and new.

Good luck with your decision.

/ International 454 - With Loader #10  
If it was me I’d certainly offer him less to start with