International 5 rotary mower question

/ International 5 rotary mower question #11  
Interesting. I had the IM500 for about 5 years - followed by the IM602 for another five. Both were stored out in the pasture 365 days a year. Neither showed/shows even the slightest indication of rust perforation.

Now the cab corners and rear wheel arches on my Ford/GMC/Chevy pickup trucks are a whole different story.........I wish they'd hold up as well as my rotary cutters.

//greg//[/QUOTE

Must just be the difference in climate or maybe they have changed the materials or design over time? All I know is I have spent 5 hours plus cutting out the top of the thing and welding in new 3/16" steel. What a job.

All in all they are a good unit. All I was trying to say is they do have this one issue. If the price was right I would buy anything, even a GM truck.

Chris

/ International 5 rotary mower question #12  
Mine is old and beat, but does the job. One of these days i am going to have to
turn it over and take a looksy.

Phil C.

Attachments

• tractor.jpg
    tractor.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 258
   / International 5 rotary mower question
Yep the mower I'm looking at looks like Kebo's. However very rusty. Looks like it's been stored outside. It will be sold at auction and I haven't been able to look it over in the flesh yet. Based on everyones replies here it is seems it is generally a good mower but there are things to watch out for. That opens up a couple more questions. Do you think a 26 HP tractor will run it? What would a reasonable price range to pay be? Thanks! Bill

/ International 5 rotary mower question #14  
Yep the mower I'm looking at looks like Kebo's. However very rusty. Looks like it's been stored outside. It will be sold at auction and I haven't been able to look it over in the flesh yet. Based on everyones replies here it is seems it is generally a good mower but there are things to watch out for. That opens up a couple more questions. Do you think a 26 HP tractor will run it? What would a reasonable price range to pay be? Thanks! Bill

26 Hp is plenty for a 5' mower. The rule of thumb on a BH type mower is 5 Hp per foot, so you are right in the neighborhood.

As for auctions, good luck. Everything I have ever bid on at a auction goes for more than a new one. Example, I went after a 6.5' Taylor 3 point Backhoe. They sell for $4250 new 3 hours drive each way from my house. This thing sold for just over $4500 at the auction. My rule of thumb is I will pay half price for a used piece of equipment. So I would give no more than $400. I bought 2 used BH out of a farmers lot for $300 total. One is a Ford and is heavy but needed a little welding and the other was a Woods I painted and replaced a few bolts then resold.

Chris

/ International 5 rotary mower question #15  
Do you think a 26 HP tractor will run it?
Depends upon whether you're talking 26 engine hp, or 26 PTO hp. If the latter, no problem. But the five foot rule applies to PTO hp. So whether or not your tractor has enough all around grunt for a five footer depends upon the terrain - and upon the material to be cut. If you're speaking of 26 engine hp, you may encounter difficulty mowing up moderate to steep hills and heavy/wet/tall grass and weeds.

If you actually conclude that your tractor can handle a five footer without difficulty - AND if the rusty appearance is cosmetic rather than structural - they're likely to be in the neighborhood of about $450 used.

//greg//

/ International 5 rotary mower question
Good point about the PTO HP. My tractor is a 26 HP but I think the PTO HP is 23 HP. That make it close given the more strenuous applications that it could encounter. Thanks for the thought food.