Intruder in the Hen House

/ Intruder in the Hen House #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
I went to get the eggs yesterday and got a surprise.

grammy 001.jpg

/ Intruder in the Hen House #2  
I learned at an early age to look in the nests before putting a hand in one. Have you ever put a glass egg in the nest? Or people used to put the old white (ceramic?) door knobs in nests. I guess those things served a dual purpose. It supposedly fooled the hens into thinking it was a egg so they'd lay more eggs in the same nest, and it gave the snakes an indigestible something to swallow. At least that was the claim, but I've never personally known of a snake to swallow one.

/ Intruder in the Hen House #4  
What kind of snake is it? (I only got as far as "black snake" :) )

/ Intruder in the Hen House #5  
What kind of snake is it? (I only got as far as "black snake" :) )

When the picture was taken I would guess that it was a "live snake". After the picture was taken I bet it digressed to a "dead snake". Isn't that the only two kind there are?

I could be wrong.

/ Intruder in the Hen House
When the picture was taken I would guess that it was a "live snake". After the picture was taken I bet it digressed to a "dead snake". Isn't that the only two kind there are?

I could be wrong.

Exactly, I guess great minds think alike!!!

It was a black snake, I knew if I didn't kill it that it would just come back for more later.

It is hard to tell in the pic, but it has the egg about half swallowed.

/ Intruder in the Hen House #7  
Now that could scare someone. :shocked: Worst thing we have had in our chicken house was a mink. Wife closed the door and I went in with two pitchforks. :eek: Rather face the mink than the snake though. On our island a least we do not have any poisonous snakes. Would like to know what type of snake that is?

/ Intruder in the Hen House #8  
Dang..if I was to grab on to that sucker,well lets say scramble eggs mix w/meat.

/ Intruder in the Hen House #9  
I did see that it had its mouth around one egg. It would have been a lot funnier picture if you'd taken it after it swallowed the egg.:laughing: You could have made it a snake "whatzit" puzzle.;)

Of course, they say that snakes always come in 2s, so you better watch out for the other one.:D

/ Intruder in the Hen House #10  
I must be blessed I experience that two or three times a year, some singles some doubles.

I lost my # 1 egg gatherer after the second time she balked, so I inherited another chore.

Its always something.

Have fun