Inverter for truck

/ Inverter for truck
Thanks everyone, going to scrap the inverter idea. Will probably just buy a new Honda or Yamaha generator so that I can use it without going deaf as well as at campgrounds to recharge the camper batteries as needed. Will cost more upfront but from the sounds of it would be a better setup long-term.

/ Inverter for truck
As far as why I want a compressor in the truck it is for farm use. Would love to be able to use air tools for field repairs, changing wagon tires and blowing dust and chaff off the baler.

/ Inverter for truck #23  
   / Inverter for truck #24  
There is another way to do it.
I have one of these mounted in a 6 wheel ATV. It gives me 20 amps at 220 volts that will go anywhere. The only issue is that you have to set the engine rpm fairly accurately to get 60hz power out of it.
I have seen one rigged up in a pickup with an air conditioner clutch to turn it on when needed.

/ Inverter for truck #25  
As far as why I want a compressor in the truck it is for farm use. Would love to be able to use air tools for field repairs, changing wagon tires and blowing dust and chaff off the baler.

Go cordless! :D

/ Inverter for truck #26  

12 volt Impact Wrench, Leaf Blower works great

/ Inverter for truck #27  
12 volt Impact Wrench, Leaf Blower works great

Meh, we have the smallest handheld Stihl gas blower and its great for blowing out the baler. It won't get quite everything that a blowgun will get, but it works well.
I have heard good things about some of the other cordless impacts as well (not that they will do much for a flat tire).

Aaron Z

/ Inverter for truck #28  
In 1990 I added a 2000W inverter and a second battery to my service van along with a retractable corded trouble light/extension outlet.

I do run a small Emglo compressor which is just about the max... compressor and inverter are now 25 years old.

Spent $1200 for the Inverter and $450 for the compressor back them.

In a pinch, the compressor is large enough to run my Senco Underlayment Stapler and Brad Nailers...

I also added a continuous duty 12 volt solenoid so with the push of a button both batteries can be joined which also brings in my 120amp or 130 amp... can't remember anymore... alternator... wanted to go bigger and learned I would need to double belt it... the only I put in was for ambulance duty so it has good low rpm output...

I can pull the inverter with the second battery out as I used a plastic boat battery box and heavy duty commercial jumper cable disconnect...

Sometimes I just needed to run a skill saw or sawzall or lights and it has worked great... will also run my Spartan 300 cable sewer machine...

/ Inverter for truck #29  
Meh,
It won't get quite everything that a blowgun will get, but it works well.
Aaron Z

Yes Sir, Keep her tiddy in the field, get them nooks and crannies at the barn to prep for storage.

I have heard good things about some of the other cordless impacts as well (not that they will do much for a flat tire).
Aaron Z

Cordless, cords for me. Those small batteries are a waste for infrequent use and they are expensive.
(truck bed or trailer then to the barn or a tire shop to fix a flat tire!, 18.4x38 are a pain)

/ Inverter for truck #30  
Since the OP is leaning towards a small genset, I will throw it out there that I made the mistake of buying a cheap knock off genset years ago.... It was loud and lasted less than 100 hours. It was also a REAL pain to start after a short while. Ended up with a Yamaha 2000, and 3000 (RV air conditioner). For a less expensive alternative to red/blue, the Champion inverter gensets are very well reviewed by users over at the RV.NET forum.