Ironton 220# 240# hoist info?

/ Ironton 220# 240# hoist info? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
A little off the topic of tractors, but I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with:

I recently purchased a second-hand, but unused Ironton 100VAC electric hoist:
Ironton Double Line Electric Hoist 220-lb. Single Line/440-lb. Double Line Lift Capacity
Northern Tools Item #48304

The previous owner removed the wire cable and replaced it with a climbing rope. She intended to use it with a harness to help get her husband up and down out of a chair, but gave up on that project. The rope is threaded through the cable retention holes. How she got climbing rope through a hole intended for 1/8" cable is beyond me. I'll have to disassemble the hoist to try to get it out.

I have a few questions I'm hoping someone else with this hoist can help me out with:

1) How is the cable retained in the winch? There are two holes in the side plate of the spool. Did it just thread through there and simple use friction (and extra wraps on the drum) to retain it? Or was there some sort of lug or clamp on the free end? Some description or a photo would be greatly appreciated. [Edit: I figured this one out. There is a wedge and slot arrangement on the back side of the spool that retains the cable. This can't be seen until the winch is disassembled and the spool removed - or at least it couldn't be seen with the climbing rope in the way.]

2) How is the hoist intended to be hung? The description is gone off off Northern Tool. My recollection is that it was intended to be hung from a round pipe. I do not recall the size of the pipe. The previous owner lost the brackets that attach to the hoist, so I can't get a hint from those. Were they just U-bolts, or were the specially formed brackets?

3) If anyone has an owners manual handy, I would love to get my hands on a copy - I'm mainly interested in any mounting and maintenance instructions (such as cable type and replacement instructions, etc), but would appreciate hearing if there is anything important in there other than the standard, generic safety warnings they send with any hoist.

I had an online chat with Northern Tool. They were no help: no owners manual I can download, they will not provide contact info for the manufacturer (Ironton is a Northern Tools "house brand").

/ Ironton 220# 240# hoist info?
Figured out the cable attachment (and edited the original post to note that). There is a spot stamped out on the spool that the cable and a small wedge are designed to fit in to on the side of the spool. It could not be seen clearly until I disassembled the hoist and removed the spool. Unfortunately, the previous owner ground off this area to fit the climbing rope, and it will no longer hold the cable.

The good news: even though Northern Tool has discontinued this winch, parts are still available, and a replacement spool is only $4. Quite reasonable, I thought.

The bad news: they have no cable spools in stock and it will take several months to get one shipped from China. I ordered one. I guess mounting this in my shop will be on hold for a bit.

Still hoping to find some info on how this is intended to be mounted.

/ Ironton 220# 240# hoist info? #3  
Think it may be same as one as Horror Fright sells... Might look ... Maybe download manual from HF if same....

44 lbs. Electric Hoist with Remote Control

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/60000-60999/60346.pdf

MY 10,000 pound winch on my Jeep simply uses heave duty crimp on wire lug (eye type) with a bolt threaded into side of drum...And last 5 turn on "wire" are painted red and instruction manual admonished you to not unwind the last five turns.... Similar to image below...

winch_empty.jpg

Dale

Last edited:
   / Ironton 220# 240# hoist info? #4  
I hope you got a real good deal on it -- they are not very expensive when brand new, so I'd almost think it's too much hassle to mess around with a used one that is missing parts. Northern, Harbor Freight, and a few other discount chains all sell the same hoists.

I had one of these 220/440# hoists that worked pretty well:

440 lbs. Electric Hoist with Remote Control

I think I paid $79 or so, back about 10 years ago. Looks like it's $99 now.

I hope you got a real good deal on it -- they are not very expensive when brand new, so I'd almost think it's too much hassle to mess around with a used one that is missing parts.

I agree. They were on sale for $85 at Northern Tool when I got this one (as it turns out, they were clearing out the last of their inventory before discontinuing it. I paid $60 for it. Normally, for that differential, I would have just ordered new. This was a local person who really needed the money. I didn't even haggle with her.

Thanks, Dale. The HF links were helpful. It's a very similar hoist.