IRS and what do they really do with all their power

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / IRS and what do they really do with all their power #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I just wish that the IRS would process my return. Filed a paper return as I have forms that are not eligible for electronic filing. IRS states on their website that there is a 6 week processing backlog for paper returns.
I called them in July asking why I had not received my refund (yes I screwed up and had a refund, my goal is to never have a refund EVER.) They told me it takes 6 weeks to process. I told them 6 weeks was long come and gone. They then said they were behind more than 6 weeks and I should just wait. I created an IRS website logon (another nightmare story) to try to monitor when it was processed. Finally in August I decided I would ask my Congressional representative for help. After 5 weeks I still had no response from their office so I contacted my Congressional rep again. Was told my case was going to be brought up with the IRS the next day as to why the IRS still had not processed my return. Found out that the IRS told the congressional staffer helping me that they had not processed the return yet and that I just had to wait until they do, that they have up to 6 weeks after filing. Yes it was 5 months (21 weeks) after filing when the IRS told my congressional rep's office that they had 6 weeks and that I should be patient.
HOW MUCH INCOMPETENCE CAN WE STAND? If I owed them they would have processed it and be charging me interest and penalty.

Has anyone else had this happen where their return is not process for a VERY long time? I googled "delay in IRS processing return" and boy did I get an eye opener of stuff. Of course everything you read on the internet is true but several individuals told stories of over a year had passed and they still had not had their return processed. I am glad I have proof that it was delivered to the IRS (thank you USPS documentation). Read the IRS rented trailers to store returns in while they wait to process them. I am sure that Covid may have slowed it down a little but this is for the birds.

Just curious how many others have had this happen? What did you do if anything that was helpful?

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power #2  
Other side of the coin... I filed two amended returns on paper in June with checks attached. They still haven't cashed the checks or processed the returns. I have been told that between Covid work from home rules and understaffing they are months and months behind in processing anything that isn't computer filed.

I guess you could ask your Congressman to increase funding for the IRS so they could have more collectors and auditors but you wouldn't win any popularity contests with that suggestion.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power #3  
My 2019 return wasn't processed until after some people received their 2020 refund.
IRS owes me over $3500 based on my 2019 & 2020 returns.
They've had time to send me 3 letters acknowledging they owe me the money, but haven't found time to write a check. Yet when they mistakenly thought I owed them ~$900 they charged me $4.29 in interest when my check showed up a few days after their deadline (was postmarked on due date).

They're broken.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power #4  
The IRS is understaffed.

The 12 million documents exposing illegal tax avoidance by the ultra-wealthy, called the Pandora Papers, succeeding the Panama Papers, shows that some significant portion of the very wealthy avoid taxes by illegally concealing billions in assets and income generated by these assets. The vastly wealthy understand understaffing the IRS is their best insurance against being discovered as tax cheats.

It is in the interest of ultra wealthy tax cheats that the middle class should be upset with the IRS. Understaffing the IRS achieves this.

It is basic to our progressive tax system that those with incomes in the top 10% fund our government through higher tax rates than the middle class. Unfortunately, some significant portion of the very wealthy shirk this obligation illegally, year after year. The IRS could provide better service and our federal and state budget deficits would be significantly less, if the IRS was better staffed on a multi-year basis.

Last edited:
   / IRS and what do they really do with all their power #5  
Or we could just have a tax code that required a miniscule staff at the IRS. It is in the interest of politicians to make things difficult so they can 'fix' problems and get re-elected. This is not entirely a partisan issue as both sides have blame in this.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power #6  
   / IRS and what do they really do with all their power #7  
I keep hearing the government is hiring thousands more IRS agents. Bureaucracy is roaring back and stronger than ever.
Isnt it great!

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power #8  
We just got our refund this week.

Yes they are understaffed, yes Treasury is hiring, yes Treasury is making efforts to modernize and overhaul the tax collection systems.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power #9  
The IRS is understaffed.

The 12 million documents exposing illegal tax avoidance by the ultra-wealthy, called the Pandora Papers, succeeding the Panama Papers, shows that some significant portion of the very wealthy avoid taxes by illegally concealing billions in assets and income generated by these assets. The vastly wealthy know understaffing the IRS is their best insurance against being discovered as tax cheats.

It is in the interest of ultra wealthy tax cheats that the middle class should be upset with the IRS. Understaffing the IRS achieves this.

It is basic to our progressive tax system that those with incomes in the top 10% fund our government through higher tax rates than the middle class. Unfortunately, some significant portion of the very wealthy shirk this obligation illegally, year after year. The IRS could provide better service and our federal and state budget deficits would be significantly less, if the IRS was better staffed on a multi-year basis.
that is the standard excuse. we are doing a lousy job, have always done a lousy job, will continue to do a lousy job so....fund more positions.

how about....shrink the govt and let the private sector do it?

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power #10  
I just got notice from my local taxes for a miss back in 2018. I guess they could blame Covid too?
Seems the forms never got to them and it takes years for them to process??

Status
Not open for further replies.