Is 25hp enough?

/ Is 25hp enough? #21  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S, Ford 4600
Weight does work not HP. HP just decides how fast you can do the work.

I would say 25 is enough for what you describe depending on the BH. On a B series I think you’d be okay but slow, on a. l I think it would be painfully slow. FWIW when I upgraded to my MX it was mostly because I had a bunch of farmed tree stumps on my new land. Took nearly an hour to dig one out with the BX having to dig down about 3’ before I could break it loose. MX would average 10 stumps an hour digging the same 3’ and pulling them out. All about hydraulic flow rates with BH work.

Good advice. The amount of work a tractor can do in determined by it's weight. How fast is does that work is determined by it's horsepower.

I stole that quote from somebody else on here. Don't remember who.

RSKY

/ Is 25hp enough? #22  

diesel85

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
That's kind of true. I've operated 150HP tractors, and mowing operations, you can only go so fast in relation to the mower to how well it cuts.

Even mowing my lawn, if I go 1 mph slower, it does a better job regardless of the size of machine.

When I used to do lawn care, I ran a huge 36HP ZT, and yeah, I could mow at 10-12 mph, but the cut was terrible even though the machine never bogged down. However the bossman had a tactic... go fast, so you can do'em twice a week to make $$$$$$. Boy, he was right....... sometimes in the spring, 3x for the SAME property! lol

/ Is 25hp enough? #23  

Shenandoah MF1760

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2020 MF1760M
You should hold on to the L2650 as the new mules have the pollution control crap that you do not want or need.

You should also keep the flail mower as belly mowers are a real pain to own and work on.

Renting instead of buying and owning a backhoe when needed will save you money and the small track drive
backhoes are much more stable than tractor mounted back hoes because they have a lower center of gravity.
All good points.

I believe Messicks claimed that belly mowers are one of the top 10 buyer remorse items.

When it comes to HP generally the Mick Jagger axiom should be applied "Too much is just about right!". I was looking at getting a 40HP and ended up with a 60HP one. Same size in general just 50% more ponies for only 10% more (at the time).

But, reading your situation I agree that it makes better financial sense to find money elsewhere and keep the tractor you've already got, unless there's some reason you'd rather have something else. i.e cab, 4WD etc.