Is 5065E a good deal for me?

/ Is 5065E a good deal for me? #11  
Above data makes no sense to me.

I think responders later tonight will concur the numbers above make no sense.

Last edited:
   / Is 5065E a good deal for me? #12  
The source on the other was actually from your youtube suggestion, tractor time with tim video, his review stated requirements for that 520M loader. Granted it's not the same loader, but I'd expect somewhat similar. I've View attachment 698408
I watched the Tractor Tim review of the Deere 5075E, which I enjoyed.

HERE:

I note that Tim stated his personal recommendation as 2,000 pounds TPH counterbalance for the very powerful Loader in the video.

In addition to Rim Guard filled rear tires, which Tim said weigh 1,500 pounds combined, the cab on the 5075E weighs somewhere around 800 pounds, of which 600 pounds will weigh on the rear wheels; 2,100 pounds of additional weight on the rear wheels, relative to the bare tractor. In my opinion for the Deere 512 Loader 1,000 pounds of TPH counterbalance would be ample with a cab + Rim Guard in the rear tires. For the more powerful Deere 553 Loader 1,300 pounds of TPH counterbalance would be ample with a cab + Rim Guard in the rear tires.

Others will differ.

Last edited:
   / Is 5065E a good deal for me? #13  
What do you guys think?

I've got two main questions:

1. What do you think about the price, assuming no abnormal oil leaks or other damage? I see the rear tire tread is pretty much gone, how much you estimate is left? Anyone had to replace those tires before and know roughly how much they cost?

2. I grew up on farm and I all know is lots of clutch work. We never had a front loader as it wasn't that type of farm. How is this PRT work for lots of frontloader work? I have 24 acres, almost all wooded that I'm working on clearing a few acres for trails, a few acres of crops and homesite, but as I understand this transmission, as long as you don't have to change the range, if shifting gears it has power shift and if changing direction, you also don't need a clutch? It doesn't seem bad at all and seems just as easy as lawnmower, but admit that's the biggest thing I've ever driven with a hydrostatic transmission. Well, other than a combine, now that I think about it, opening up a field without a hydrostatic drive would not be fun, so maybe I should stick with the smaller 4 series? I don't know, it's hard to know without buying one and seeing if you love or hate it. Do the pedals ever get annoying on a hydrostatic? I know you have cruise control but gearing just seems so much nicer.

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks in advance!

1. I bet that tractor is already gone, around here anything pre-emissions less than about 25 years old that doesn't have 4000+ hours and isn't beaten to death is sold hours after it's listed online, and often shipped out of state. One of the local dealers around here, who has five physical locations in the area, says that they actually do most of their business online. They have also sold out of nearly all tractors except for the well worn ones from the '60s and '70s on consignment.

2. That would be a good price IF the tractor is in good condition. With less than 1000 hours, it probably is...but you never know.

3. Tire price varies, you are looking at roughly a couple thousand for rear tires. But, those rear tires do not look obviously shot to me in the pictures.

4. The PowerReverser on this 5075E is a hydraulic shuttle with three ranges and four gears in each range. You can reverse with the reverser lever without clutching, which takes getting used to if you are used to using a regular transmission. Reverse is faster than forward by about 10%, which also takes a little getting used to. The transmission is synchronized for all shifts within a range, but it is NOT a power shift, you need to clutch to change gears but you don't need to stop. You DO need to completely stop to change ranges with this transmission. I have used a 5083E with this same transmission for making and feeding round bales and it is perfectly fine for loader work. But then again so is the regular 9x3 SyncShuttle/TSS transmission without the reverser, I've used that transmission as well as well as similar synchronized non-reverser transmissions on other tractors and they are all fine. Using a gear drive tractor to run a bush hog is perfectly fine too.

5. The choice between a smaller 4 series compact with a hydrostatic transmission and a 5 series utility tractor which does not come with a hydrostatic transmission really depends on what you intend to do with the tractor.

/ Is 5065E a good deal for me? #14  
I have been doing quite a bit of sand clay leveling lately and I will say that my 2 box blades haven't been hooked up for any of it. I use a land plane style blade for pulling and leveling the dirt. And though I don't use attachments for ballast unless i need the particular attachment, the land plane is much heavier than either of my box blades and serves as better ballst. I like the plane so much I am now in the process of building one. It will be 7' x 7' and likely weigh at least a ton when I'm done. The worse thing about using one of these as ballast is the larger footprint.

/ Is 5065E a good deal for me? #15  
I've used my Land Pride LPGS - land plane grading scraper - as rear ballast. It works but I really don't like it. Too big a foot print.

I use my Rhino 950 rear blade @ 1050#. Even though it's an8 foot blade - easier to move thru the trees. If things get really tough - just spin it so it's parallel to my direction of travel.