Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact?

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #22  
For some reason my reply didn't post earlier.

A Mahindra 2638 weighs a little over 3000 pounds without a loader or operator. I have a 6' box blade that originally came with a MFWD Massey-Ferguson 1030L I used to have. That tractor was fairly similar to the OP's Mahindra, it weighed about 2900 pounds without the loader or me on it and had unloaded ag tires. I did have a loader on it though. The tires would spin if there was more than about 6" of gravel in the box.

I now have a 2WD Deere 5075E with loaded ag tires. It pulls that same box blade to overflowing without knowing it is back there.

I would suspect that the OP would at the least need to have filled ag tires if not a larger tractor to pull a 6' box blade well.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact?
For some reason my reply didn't post earlier.

A Mahindra 2638 weighs a little over 3000 pounds without a loader or operator. I have a 6' box blade that originally came with a MFWD Massey-Ferguson 1030L I used to have. That tractor was fairly similar to the OP's Mahindra, it weighed about 2900 pounds without the loader or me on it and had unloaded ag tires. I did have a loader on it though. The tires would spin if there was more than about 6" of gravel in the box.

I now have a 2WD Deere 5075E with loaded ag tires. It pulls that same box blade to overflowing without knowing it is back there.

I would suspect that the OP would at the least need to have filled ag tires if not a larger tractor to pull a 6' box blade well.
Not sure if your MF had 4 wheel drive. You are correct, HP is similar. Not sure if 3 cylinder vs. 4 makes a difference. My tires are loaded. I am also on a grade so maybe a 5' would be best. Thanks for the reply.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #24  
Not sure if your MF had 4 wheel drive. You are correct, HP is similar. Not sure if 3 cylinder vs. 4 makes a difference. My tires are loaded. I am also on a grade so maybe a 5' would be best. Thanks for the reply.

That little Massey-Ferguson had mechanical front wheel drive (MFWD.) 4 wheel drive is what the giant center-articulated tractors like Deere 9Rs have.

3 vs 4 cylinders make no difference if the tractors the engines are mounted in are about the same size and weight and the engine power is similar.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #25  
Why don't you ask a dealer if you can demo one so you will know?

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #26  
I’ve got a 5’ Frontier box blade that we use on our JD 2720. It’s ok for light grading, but a little too much if you’re filling the box and moving dirt. I definitely wouldn’t go bigger on that size compact. Works great on My JD 4066R, albeit a little small for that tractor…I could easily pull a 6’ BB with the 4066R.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #27  
I am clearing land with a 2638 Mahindra. I would like a 6' box blade to further reduce the cost of having someone do the finish work.
Next year, I am thinking a smaller compact will maintain the drive and clear a tree on occasion. IF that puts 5-10k back in my pocket, then I will do so.
(if the economy holds, I am guessing I can pretty easily trade down with someone unhappy with a compact)

So, the question is, can a compact handle the 6' or should I temporarily live with a 5' blade.

Thanks for any advice.
Years ago I had a little 18 hp, 2wd Allis Chalmers. I had a 5' blade used with other tractors at the time and decided to use it to help a neighbor cover up a water line trench. It didn't have the weight nor traction to put the blade at a 45* angle and move the dirt back over the trench.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #28  
Years ago I had a little 18 hp, 2wd Allis Chalmers. I had a 5' blade used with other tractors at the time and decided to use it to help a neighbor cover up a water line trench. It didn't have the weight nor traction to put the blade at a 45* angle and move the dirt back over the trench.
Was your AC diesel or gasoline?

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #29  
I pull a Bush Hog RO 720 - roll over box blade - behind my Kubota M6040. With the ROBB on the 3-point, the tractor weighs 9900 pounds. This is a 6 foot implement.

I must be careful that I don't make an overly aggressive cut. With the power and weight of my tractor - I can still end up with all four wheels digging. And I'm no longer moving forward.

So ....... with a six foot box blade - start with a shallow cut - stay with a shallow cut.

With my Fit Rite hydraulic top link - controlling cut depth is a snap. I've found that a 4" deep cut works very well in my soil type.

/ Is a 6' box blade too much for a compact? #30