Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel?

/ Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel? #101  
try a dairy farm, my wife works at one and they get the chemicals for the teat dip, the footbath and the sanitizing solution in 55 gallon drums, I dont recommend them for food (some have formaldehyde which isn't all that good for your insides) but for diesel, you should be good.

Aaron Z

/ Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel? #102  
LBrown59 said:
I run an add in the local paper under the wanted section saying "drums wanted.
It runs 24/7 month in and month out .
It's never turned up any such user.

I could hook you up with a drum guy that previously had dozens and dozens of drums (mostly detergent) who resold them under $10 each (FOB Oklahoma.) My best guess is that he would probably not want to get involved in arranging shipping and such when he can sell them to folks like me who show up with a truck or trailer, pay cash, and drive away.

Have you tried any commercial laundries, like the ones for hotels and hospitals?

...and I thought I was at the fringes of civilization! Around here anything more complicated than slip joint pliers is HIGH TECH... but we have cheap drums available.

Pat

Pat

/ Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel? #104  
Be afraid, be very afraid.

Using a poly drum for fuel storage cost me about $600 for a rebuilt fuel pump. The drums are not really designed to be open and closed over and over and still seal well. They are designed to be sealed up once, and opened once. Perhaps if you get a new cap, or what not, and its rubber is safe for diesel.

What happened to me was that water was getting into the tank through the closed caps and then into the tank. I was constantly having to drain water from the tank, and the filters. Enough got through to mess up two injectors, and kill the fuel pump. This on a 4020.

At first we thought it was a bad fuel vendor. Stopped using the barrel and using fuel cans for the past 5 years as I didn't know what to do with the last 10 gallons of "bad" fuel in it. Only last year did I realize it wasn't the fuel vendor when I went to move the barel and found it FULL of water. It has been well sealed tight these past years .. so water was slowly leaking in with each heavy rain.

Not to mention these barrels don't have a drain cock at the bottom to remove water that collects via condensation, it seems a bad idea for long term storage.

/ Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel? #105  
PegAir said:

Not to mention these barrels don't have a drain cock at the bottom to remove water that collects via condensation, it seems a bad idea for long term storage.

It is a bad idea for long term storage if water leaks in from rain. If properly sealed there is no reason to worry. Water doesn't penetrate the drum, it leaks past a bad seal.

There are different kinds/styles of bungs. Some are quite robust and with reasonable care their "lids" (plugs?) should last indefinitely. Teflon tape could be used with caution. Teflon reduces the friction so much you can easily over tighten the plug and split the threaded hole. Of the different styles of drums, some don't have a raised rim to act as a water collector that will keep the bung submerged in rain water. I use the ones that get submerged with no leaks but also have some of the other type which would be less subject to leaking when not properly sealed.

Pat

/ Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel? #106  
PegAir said:
1*.. so water was slowly leaking in with each heavy rain.
2*Not to mention these barrels don't have a drain cock at the bottom to remove water that collects via condensation
3*it seems a bad idea for long term storage.
````````````````````
http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2001/storycty/chev6001.JPG http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2001/storycty/chev6001a.JPG

1*I have an 85 gallon system consisting of 1 30 and 1 55 gallon plastic drum.
My system is inside so rain snow and leaking aren't a problem.
2*Not a problem -> just simply check when empty and turn drum upside down and dump if necessary.
3*Lots of folks on here use the plastic drums not finding it a bad idea.
BTY just what is the definition of long term storage?
If one is using it it's not being stored.

/ Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel? #107  
PegAir said:

What happened to me was that water was getting into the tank through the closed caps and then into the tank. I was constantly having to drain water from the tank, and the filters.

water was slowly leaking in with each heavy rain.
I don't have that problem with this set up.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/1370015-post1.html

/ Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel? #108  
I get my drums from the local car wash.

I could hook you up with a drum guy that previously had dozens and dozens of drums (mostly detergent) who resold them under $10 each (FOB Oklahoma.) My best guess is that he would probably not want to get involved in arranging shipping and such when he can sell them to folks like me who show up with a truck or trailer, pay cash, and drive away.

Have you tried any commercial laundries, like the ones for hotels and hospitals?

...and I thought I was at the fringes of civilization! Around here anything more complicated than slip joint pliers is HIGH TECH... but we have cheap drums available.

Pat

Pat

/ Is a Poly Drum legal for fuel? #110  
If your in bear country you may want to try a beer bait supplier. They sell reject gummi bears, and other reject sweet things by 55 gallon barrels. I do believe they are food grade. they might point you in the right direction.