is a rotary plow useful?

/ is a rotary plow useful? #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
I have a gravely rotary plow that I've never used. I also have a gravely rototiller head, which I do use. Is there anything the plow is better than the rototiller for?

/ is a rotary plow useful? #2  
The rotary plow will prepare as loose a seedbed as I've ever seen. It is an amazing implement.

It can also be used to plow ditches, too.

The tiller attachment is just a different creature for cultivation once the grown is broken up with the plow.

/ is a rotary plow useful?
hmm, can see the ditches, might have to try that on a project I'm doing now (granite edging). Probably would justify it right there.

Tiller has done a good job of initial cultivation, to the point that I wondered if it basically replaced the plow in the gravely arsenal

/ is a rotary plow useful? #4  
The tiller was never designed to break up virgin ground for flowerbeds, gardens, etc. That is what the plow is for.

/ is a rotary plow useful?
I thought the plow predated the rototiller design by a fair bit?

/ is a rotary plow useful? #6  
When I used the rotary plow on unbroken ground I didn't have to go over the same ground with a tiller (I had both). I used the rotary plow and planted. I didn't mount the tiller until the plants were up and the weeds that came with them.

/ is a rotary plow useful? #7  
When I used the rotary plow on unbroken ground I didn't have to go over the same ground with a tiller (I had both). I used the rotary plow and planted. I didn't mount the tiller until the plants were up and the weeds that came with them.

You are missing out on something special. If you think the plow is good, run the cultivator through your garden just before planting. Use a high PTO RPM and a low ground speed - while traveling backwards. You will sink to your ankles in soft fluffy soil.

/ is a rotary plow useful? #8  
yea the soft soil is nice to plant in but when it rains its harder than concrete.