Is a spike in tractor prices coming?

/ Is a spike in tractor prices coming? #61  
I ordered a LX3310 on Dec 15. The good. It's locked in at 0% The bad. He said prices will definitely be going up for anyone ordering in January. Worse? They aren't scheduled to get LX3310 until January 2023😆
We are looking at a New Holland, which are in short supply. Our salesman warned us of a 10% price increase this spring. He is trying to find one of lasts years inventory for us that will be at the old price. He suggested a Boomer 50 instead of the 45 as there are no 45s in the region, but he thinks he can get a 50 by February.

/ Is a spike in tractor prices coming? #64  
Part of the reason people continue to buy despite higher prices is they are anticipating even higher prices and are trying to get ahead of it. Unfortunately for someone like me, the timing is just bad. We have have our timeline in place for over 10 years. Our decision to retire to a rural acreage was made 30:years ago. Because it is currently trendy, it is costing us a lot more. The only saving grace is that our place in the city continues to appreciate, too.

/ Is a spike in tractor prices coming? #65  
The prices of new tractors have pulled the prices of used equipment up also. Anyone looking for decent used horsepower is comparing prices to new. I payed just over $10K for my 7060, but I got a tractor that will last me the rest of my farming career.

/ Is a spike in tractor prices coming? #66  
The prices of new tractors have pulled the prices of used equipment up also. Anyone looking for decent used horsepower is comparing prices to new. I payed just over $10K for my 7060, but I got a tractor that will last me the rest of my farming career.
Very true. My accountant and I meet each year to discuss equipment inventory and see “blue book“ values or comparable market values of used equipment up 10-20% and more.
But new equipment is now well out of reach for the majority of small farmers.
We are now destined to own/operate used equipment. Well used in my situation.
Until something changes like the Chinese using their low cost labor to build new farm machinery, I dont see the trend reversing anytime soon.

Rich, suburban “farmers” will be able to afford new equipment, and that may carry the day for them. My local farm equipment dealers are switching over to serving increasing load of customers who recently bought 10-100 acre swaths of grass to mow and landscape along with ever disappearing hard-core farmers.

Rows of 25-75HP tractors dominate the front lot that used to be mostly 100-200HP farm tractors.

Its a changing of America we are seeing everywhere. The family farms are being bought up by the new wave of tech millionaires. I am more than happy to serve the ones that dont want to play farmer.

Last edited:
   / Is a spike in tractor prices coming? #67  
Part of the reason people continue to buy despite higher prices is they are anticipating even higher prices and are trying to get ahead of it. Unfortunately for someone like me, the timing is just bad. We have have our timeline in place for over 10 years. Our decision to retire to a rural acreage was made 30:years ago. Because it is currently trendy, it is costing us a lot more. The only saving grace is that our place in the city continues to appreciate, too.
The only one benefiting from inflation is the Gov't. The higher prices mean more and higher rates of tax. Plus, the gov't debt is reduced as the bonds are worth less as inflation decreases the buying power.

/ Is a spike in tractor prices coming? #68  
I started looking for a used tractor over the summer because I was convinced that I wanted something older then Tier4. Once I got serious about this, I noticed that the prices where steadily climbing to the point that I began to rethink myself. I posted a few things on here and the replies also got me to rethinking what I wanted, and what I needed. I was pretty sure that I wanted Kubota, but when I looked at other brands, I felt that I could get the same thing for less money. When I talked to my local Kubota dealer, I was shocked at what they wanted, and how indifferent they where if I wanted to buy or not. My impression was that there will be somebody else right behind me that will pay that price, so why bother cutting a deal for me.

Eventually I stumbled across the Massy Ferguson 4707 4x4 cabbed tractor, and realized that it had everything that I wanted. No DEF, no Regen, and a lot of comfort in their basic package. Again, thanks to TBN, I was able to figure out what the bottom price was for one, and when I contacted the Dealer, he started out ten grand higher, but quickly came down to that price.

I decided to sign the purchase order back in November because they had zero percent for 7 years. I also fee that the price will be more if I waited longer. And my third reason was that I know how hard it is to get anything, anymore, and it would be several months before it showed up. So far I've been waiting 2 months and it could be as long as 5 months. I'm not in a rush for it right now, but I sure do want it here by Spring, and especially by SUMMER!!!!!

/ Is a spike in tractor prices coming? #70  
This morning I looked at the prices post on Tractor House for Massey Ferguson cabbed 4x4 4707 tractors, and I saw that one of the companies that I used for negotiating my price has gone up $3,000.

Back in November, when I was talking to the dealer, I showed him what they had it listed for, and he agreed to beat their price.