Is an M a true “poppin johnny “?

/ Is an M a true “poppin johnny “? #11  
Early Deere Model L tractors had an outsourced engine, might have been a Herc. M, 40, 420 all had a Dubuque built Deere engine.

/ Is an M a true “poppin johnny “? #12  
RJ
The pic shown of your Uncle's Tractor is a later model that is likely the 40. The production hood was changed from the M series and the engine is the upright 2-cyl and mfg in Dubuque, IA. Bore and stroke was 4.00x4.00 inches.

The Deere model B was a horizontal 2-cyl mfg in Waterloo, IA plant. RPM down around 1100, rather than the 1650 of the uprights. The Model B does not sound like the model 420.. I had the 420-Utility model for a good number of years. Wish I'd never let it go. Had the 420-crawler too.

The upright Hercules engine was used in the Model L prior to the M production which began 1947. Deere made its own engine after that time.

Question of "true" poppin johnny may come from enthusiasts relating the distinct low rpm sound of the horizontal 2-cyl to the higher rpms of the upright 2-cyl.
But all 2-cyl celebrated in the Two-cylinder club.

RickB types faster but has the info right. :)

/ Is an M a true “poppin johnny “? #13  
Re: Is an M a true 菟oppin johnny ?

I spent 4 summers plowing hundreds of acres with a 1950's JD 820,,
pulling a 4 -16 plow,, at full throttle,, about 1,100 rpm,,

Several years ago, I acquired a JD 650 , with a 2 cylinder diesel,,

wTmS2UJ.jpg

When I set the throttle for the machine to run at 1,100 rpm, and putt down to get the mail,,
the machine clearly echos the sound of the old 820,,
it is so similar,, the JD 650 will never leave my possession,, Kinda like havine a JD 820, at a fraction of the cost,,
and, it takes up a fraction of the shed space,, :thumbsup::D

:laughing: