Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend?

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend?
I bought the brush used for $600. A deal too IMO for how well it works.
I'm looking forward to finding a used brush too. my blacktop driveway is steep, so every year I spread a ton (2.5 tons, actually) of salt with my little tail hitch Snoway spreader to melt that last thin layer of snow that remains after I plow.

I'm hoping the brush will take care of that and save me the cost and backache of lifting 100, 50# bags of salt every winter.

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #12  
I use a poly cutting edge on my blade. That eliminates the little layer of snow and it doesn't mark up the blacktop. and it isn't that expensive, sure a lot cheaper than a broom..... jim

I use a poly cutting edge on my blade. That eliminates the little layer of snow and it doesn't mark up the blacktop. and it isn't that expensive, sure a lot cheaper than a broom..... jim
Thanks. I should try that first before getting a brush. I'm learning things here.

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #14  
With the brush, I haven't bought salt in years. I have a bag sitting here that I bought 7 years ago. Unneeded with the brush since it clears so well to the pavement (don't drive across it first though).

Come to remember, I had a poly edge on my truck's fisher plow when I first got it. It wore down on my blacktop faster than a pencil eraser on sandpaper. I admit it wasn't level all the way across, but it wore down very fast as I remember

/ Is an old Steiner 420 an old homeowner's best friend? #16  
The one from Ventrac has a wear factor built in, two sets of holes then move it to the next set. After you wear it down on that set, flip it over and start again. I did rip it up a little doing my neighbors stone drive, but learned ...... jim