Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade?

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I feel that land planes are highly over rated. I’m curious if others feel the same way too? I’m looking for some feedback before I decide if I’m going to put my land plane up for sale or not.

Knowing how much people love their land planes, it would be no surprise to me if I’m the oddball out here, but as much as I’ve tried to love them, I just don’t see any real advantage of them over the use of a box blade (when being used by an experienced operator).

I’ve had a medium duty Landpride GS2584, and now have a 7’ commercial duty Road Boss. The Road Boss is the cream of the crop at 1,100 lbs, so I know it’s not the equipment that I’m using. I’ve used both of them for smoothing driveways and open (freshly cleared) areas.

I find I prefer using the box blade more than the land plane, and can get just as good results (if not better) with the box blade.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I just missing something here?

I should mention that I’ve used these implements for everything from smoothing out forest land after clearing, to putting in logging roads, to smoothing/grading roads and driveways especially after bad weather. Only mentioning this to put into perspective that I have use both types of implements for many tasks over the years, not just grading a perfect driveway once in a blue moon.

Any thoughts or advice?

DSC00308.jpeg
DSC00309.jpeg
IMG_8019.jpeg
IMG_8020.jpeg
IMG_0130.jpeg
IMG_5313.jpeg
IMG_3957.jpeg
IMG_1497.jpeg

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #2  
I have a box blade and a home made land plane. the box blade is great for moving dirt and getting a rough level, but the land plane quickly gets things really flat with no skill required. I just drag it around. Maybe I'm just not good enough with the box blade?

Although my land plane is designed with opposing angles to level ground, the commercial units with blades angled the same way probably do a much better job of crowning a road than you can easily do with a box blade.

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #3  
Both tools have their purpose and if you ask 100 people you will get 100 opinions that maybe similar or vastly different.

My take box blade is designed to pull or carry dirt from one spot to another and has limited to no skids for depth control

Land plane is designed to plane or smooth dirt with long skids for depth control. They will move limited quantity of dirt from one spot to the next. Less prone to follow washboard movements than box blade.

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #4  
Piston, it looks like your tractor has a number of rear remotes to hydraulicly adjust your tilt and angle. With these I’d say you are at a huge advantage to the average smaller tractor owner that does not have these when trying to use a box blade.

As others have said with a land plane there is really almost no learning curve. Just drop it and with its skids it will level the ground with little operator input. I’d also have to agree that its speed for leveling a long (1/2 mile+) driveway or road can not be matched by a box blade.

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #5  
I have both. Both have scarifiers. I use the land plane ten times more often than the box blade. I consider the box blade as an implement designed to move dirt. I simply do not have the need to move large amounts of dirt - very often. My skills with the box blade are lacking - probably because I use it so infrequently.

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #6  
Ever since I picked up a used Ford 782A Back Blade, it's been my go-to implement for maintaining my clay-dirt driveway. And having TnT makes it quick and easy. I can make it dig-in or float just by changing the angle of attack (3PH Top cylinder). I've been thinking about adding a cylinder to it for swing. I currently need to get down off the tractor, pull a pin and swing it by hand. I'm getting lazy in my old age. However, the swing allows me to spin the blade 180 degrees. I can use it as a push blade going backwards or a leveler going forwards. Adding a cylinder would make that more involved.

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #7  
I guess I see the land plane as a uni-tasker. It does its one thing well, but when making purchasing decisions both cost and storage space come into play. If you only have room ($ or space) for one, the box blade seems to make more sense.

Of course, there are situational factors that may mean you would never have need of a box blade, so the utility of it is zero if you only need to level and have a land plane.

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #8  
I don't have a land plane but have used a box blade for 20 years. For me it can be difficult to get long rolling waves out of a driveway. It takes time and concentration but it can be done. Sometimes after major work I won't know if it's right until I drive a car down it and will end up working on it again the next day. I've always thought a land plane would take some of the guesswork out of the job but since I can do the job without one I've never bought one. A weighted drag works for potholes too.

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #9  
I have never used a LP.
I maintain a gravel driveway that's mostly flat but has a turn on it with BB. Neither the BB or a LP can drag the pushed out gravel back into the track...I use a landscape rake for that. Once I do that I drop the sacrifices on the BB and drag. It comes out very smooth. I just dont see how a LP would help.

So no your not the only one. Although I have never used one a box blade does everything I need to do. Even making a new driveway I back drag my bucket and make things way smoother than a LP is capable of doing.

/ Is anyone else missing the magic of a land plane over a box blade? #10  
Using a box blade well requires a high degree of skill. Using a land plane well does not. A large box blade in the hands of a skilled operator can do everything the land plane can do and much more. Many operators, including me, do not have ninja-like skill with a box blade so I prefer the land plane since it's so much less frustrating and much quicker. I think that's the difference.