Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer?

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #1  

jaredyates

Tractor
Mahindra 1526, Kubota M7040
I'm shopping for a flat-bed equipment trailer with a 7000 pound GVW and what I'm finding is that there are some nicely built trailers (Rice, Big Tex, etc) but they seem to start their equipment trailers at 10k pounds and go up from there. So far I've only found "economy" trailers in the 7k range. I don't have the truck to haul a 10k load, and while it is possible to buy a 10k trailer and just not load it to the max, the empty weight is a factor. I realize it takes more steel to make a better trailer and the empty weight will go up, but I'm wondering if there is a sweet spot there for a good sturdy trailer that isn't 3k pounds empty. I'm looking for an 16-20' deck

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #2  
I have a few Load Trail Trailer that are made well but heavy .. You might want to look at Sure Trac aluminum trailers ..

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #3  
I would really consider a trailer with two 5K axles under it than two 3.5K axles. The weight difference my not be that much but a call to a trailer manufacturer could answer that. I have a 7K and regret not getting a 10K as ten years later I feel a bit limited.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #4  
Your terminology plays a big part. "Equipment" trailer vs. "Utility" trailer. Each one comes in many different sizes and load ratings. Typically, a utility trailer can range from a single 1500# axle to two 7500# axles with lengths from 5' to 20'. Whereas equipment trailers, unless a specialty trailer, will typically be built much heavier regardless of length. Also, the hitch type and/or ball size could be a factor.
So, if you are needing a trailer with an 8' wide bed over the tires vs. a 6' or 7' wide bed between the tires, it will either be a home made or a special built.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #5  
Are you thinking tilt or ramps?

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer?
I'm looking for ramps rather than tilt. It looks like most of the places around here call a trailer with slide out ramps a car hauler, and a trailer with folding ramps an equipment trailer. I've appreciated having folding ramps that also support the back of the trailer during loading, as to not pick up the back wheels of the truck when driving the tractor onto the trailer.

I'm towing with an F150 5.0L, 3.55 so if I'm being honest with the truck, it is limiting before tandem 3.5k axles are limiting.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #7  
If low price is the #1 driving factor, I just bought a brand new Retco 20’ 7K (2) axles both with brakes, 10 ply radial tires and fold down mesh ramp for $3,800!!!

I needed a dirt cheap trailer for hauling 2 zero turns around 2X/week.

Still looking for a 16-20K deck over. Used ones are $8,000!

Thank you for your input, I think what I was trying to say was that price was not the primary factor, but rather build quality and weight.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #9  
You might have to order it but a quick search shows that Maxx-D and Kaufman make 7k GVWR trailers using 3" C-channel for the cross-members with the stand-up ramps you stated you like as an option. Both trailers us 5" channel for the main frame.
Maxx-D 7k Trailer
Kaufman 7k Trailer
They both come standard with the cross-members on 24" centers which I think is sufficient for a 7k trailer - they do offer 16" centers as an option but that will increase your base weight.

Kaufman steps up to a 6" channel frame for their 10k trailer, but Maxx-D offers a 9,990 GVWR trailer with 5" channel frame. A base 16' version weights 2,100 pounds while a 24' version weights 2,800 pounds. If you have the budget you can likely get a 20' version of the higher rated trailer with stand-up equipment ramps that weights ~2,600 pounds. The downside to the Maxx-D 10k trailer is it would be ~$1,300 more than the 7k Kaufman, but with 5,200 lbs axles it will have better brakes and tires.

Given your location I would likely order the 7k trailer directly from Kaufman, and if you upgrade trucks in the future you can sell it and upgrade to a 10k or 14k trailer if needed.

You might have to order it but a quick search shows that Maxx-D and Kaufman make 7k GVWR trailers using 3" C-channel for the cross-members with the stand-up ramps you stated you like as an option. Both trailers us 5" channel for the main frame.
Maxx-D 7k Trailer
Kaufman 7k Trailer
They both come standard with the cross-members on 24" centers which I think is sufficient for a 7k trailer - they do offer 16" centers as an option but that will increase your base weight.

Kaufman steps up to a 6" channel frame for their 10k trailer, but Maxx-D offers a 9,990 GVWR trailer with 5" channel frame. A base 16' version weights 2,100 pounds while a 24' version weights 2,800 pounds. If you have the budget you can likely get a 20' version of the higher rated trailer with stand-up equipment ramps that weights ~2,600 pounds. The downside to the Maxx-D 10k trailer is it would be ~$1,300 more than the 7k Kaufman, but with 5,200 lbs axles it will have better brakes and tires.

Given your location I would likely order the 7k trailer directly from Kaufman, and if you upgrade trucks in the future you can sell it and upgrade to a 10k or 14k trailer if needed.
Very good leads, thank you! I hadn't considered brake and tire quality but that is a good point.