Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer?

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer?
I heard back from the Kaufman folks, and they have an 18-foot 10k in stock. The weights on their 7k, 8k, and 10k are 2300, 2400, and 2600, with the 10k being the deluxe version which would weigh a little more due to the closer frame spacing etc. The price for the 10k deluxe with a spare is $5790.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #32  
14 foot freshly fallen pine
average 30" diameter, 75% moisture ~3,500 lbs
Timber and Lumber Calculators at WOODWEB

And when you guys are quoting prices it would make it a LOT more meaningful if we knew WHEN.
I paid about $5 K for my enclosed 7Wx16Lx7H w/ a 10K rating, EZ lube axles, 1 side door built to spec w/ plywood walls and tracks on the inside in 2019.
Don't think I could get it for that price today.
/edit
I also paid only 12K for my (then) 2 yr old Hudson 18' (rated to carry 12K) equipment trailer w/ my 2 yr old Kubota B7610 (w/ about 300 hrs IIRC) & Woods boxblade, but that was in 2009. And I'm darn sure that equivalent would cost a LOT more today.

Last edited:
   / Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #33  
I ended up with a Diamond C car hauler, they make it in a 7k and 10k, not the lightest but it comes standard with I beam crossmembers with 16” spacing which is rare in anything less than a 14k equipment trailer.

I wanted to get the most universal trailer I could find, and when I was talking to dealers they said most car haulers aren’t good for equipment because even though they’re rated for the weight they aren’t meant to carry dense compact loads like skid steers which is where the heavy narrowly spaced crossmembers make the difference.

Kaufman was in the running and they were willing to customize but by the time I added the same options and delivery charge it was more than the Diamond C and I had to wait for it to be built.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #34  
I ended up with a Diamond C car hauler, they make it in a 7k and 10k, not the lightest but it comes standard with I beam crossmembers with 16” spacing which is rare in anything less than a 14k equipment trailer.

I wanted to get the most universal trailer I could find, and when I was talking to dealers they said most car haulers aren’t good for equipment because even though they’re rated for the weight they aren’t meant to carry dense compact loads like skid steers which is where the heavy narrowly spaced crossmembers make the difference.

Kaufman was in the running and they were willing to customize but by the time I added the same options and delivery charge it was more than the Diamond C and I had to wait for it to be built.

There are manufacturers that offer 16in cross member spacing. Appalachian does on there "contractor series". I chose not to get it because I dont feel its needed. Also there 10k and 12k equipment trailers are the same except for the axles and possibly springs.

I have hauled many pieces of equipment, pallets of concrete blocks and all kinds of odd and ends with an open center car trailer and never tweaked a cross member. I owned that trailer for 12yrs.

Are you sure diamond C uses a I beam for its cross members? All I could find was a formed C channel.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #35  
I heard back from the Kaufman folks, and they have an 18-foot 10k in stock. The weights on their 7k, 8k, and 10k are 2300, 2400, and 2600, with the 10k being the deluxe version which would weigh a little more due to the closer frame spacing etc. The price for the 10k deluxe with a spare is $5790.
You are so close to them, it makes sense to buy. I am 500 miles north and even with a $600 delivery charge, I spent $4,000 less than comparable DC. I think DC a little better, but someone told me their quality dropped in last few years.
This Kaufman has been solid overall. Hauled a 24,000lb tractor on it and about 300 11-13 ton loads of hay and she hasn’t cared.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #36  
I bought a BigTex 14ET, 18 ft dual axle trailer (7,500 lb axle rating) back in 2018 for $4200.
After only using it once a year I sold it to the local Kubota dealer for $5K in 2022.
Now I rent what I need when I need it instead of wondering if my tires will blow on me due to dry rot.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #37  

So how do you add a weight distribution hitch to an I beam tongue?

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #38  
So how do you add a weight distribution hitch to an I beam tongue?

Just needed longer bolts because the beam is wider. I went with Blue Ox because it has the shortest arms and the built in toolbox doesn’t leave a lot of usable length without modifications. I was a little concerned it would slide because it doesn’t have the face of the channel to grip but it works fine.

IMG_1586.JPG

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #39  

Several years ago a member posted about a "Ride" he took when the front straps broke and his tractor rolled back while travelling at speed. He apparently was lucky to keep it on the road. He later determined that while the trailer was rated heavy enough for the load it had flexed on a bump, causing the straps to fail. He upgraded to a heavier trailer for the reasons you mention.

/ Is Anyone Making a High Quality 7k Trailer? #40  
With all of your suggestions I realized I should find out how much of a weight penalty there is for going with a 10k. Here are a few, realizing that these numbers may only be accurate within a hundred pounds (or maybe worse):

Rice 10k, 18':2875-2970 pounds
PJ 10k, 18': 2470 pounds
Curahee 10k, 18': 2200-2350 pounds
Triple crown 10k: 1975 pounds
Suretrack 7k, 18': 2200 pounds
Hurst 7k, 18': 2000 pounds

The Hudson that newbury talks about is 1950 empty, though my local dealer said they currently have a one year lead time, so I'd have to find one that is already made or in the pipeline.

My assumption going into shopping was that a 10k trailer was going to be heavier empty than a 7k, and that was wrong.

I am also noticing how many manufacturers and dealers don't list the empty weight. Isn't that a pretty basic thing that a buyer would want to know?
I realize I am a bit late to the conversation.....but.....do NOT stress over empty weight so much. Because in my experience and research....those numbers are 100% bogus and made-up numbers allthough some MFG's may be closer than others.

For example.....The Curahee trailer at ~2300# .....has 6" channel iron frame, full wrap tongue, 3" channel crossmembers on 24" spacing and treated 2x8 deck.....
The PJ is only 5" channel iron frame, yet is heavier????

The rice at the heaviest has 16" cross member spacing. Which should add no more than 5 crossmembers. Which are 3" channel iron at 4.1lb per ft. Should add less than 150lbs yet its 500-600lbs heavier??? Explain that?

An 18' Gatormade 10k is only 2120lbs

They all pretty much use the same axles, wheels, tires, and wood. So the only major difference in weight should be +/- 150lbs if it uses 16" cross member spacing or 24".....or the difference between 5" channel iron frame and 6" channel iron frame. And that difference is 1.5lbs per ft of channel iron used. So counting tongue.....an 18' trailer should have about 80 foot or less of main-frame channel. So that should only account for ~120lb difference.

So.....explain why 18' trailers have such a vast range of weights....from under 2000lbs to almost 3k?

Basically what I am saying is do NOT trust any of the weights.....and buy the trailer you want, with the features you want.

Heck.....my 24' 14k with 8" channel iron and full-wrap tongue and 16" cross member spacing is only listed at 3000# empty weigth on my certificate of origin....lol. And I've done the math on the steel used to make the trailer and it has over 3000# just in steel. So by the time the rubber and wood deck is added....its way off. Heck just the PT deck is almost 800lbs on a 24' trailer. And the trailers you are looking at are gonna be nearly 600lbs. But depends on if you drive the trailer after a week of sunny weather or after a few days rain....that could easily add 300# of deck boards absorbing water...lol.

Again, dont fret over the "listed" or "claimed" empty trailer weight. Buy the trailer that has the features you want and you wont regret trying to skip to save some weight